Can someone explain Quasi-steady-state cosmology to me?

In summary, the quasi steady state model proposes that the universe is in a state of continuous expansion, with matter being created during periods of contraction caused by a repulsive field. This model allows for the universe to exist eternally, with a constant density. The current state of the universe is representative of how it has always been, according to the perfect cosmological principle. For more information and historical context, refer to the provided link.
TheHeraclitus
TL;DR Summary
Why is it called "Quasi steady-state" and not just Steady state?
How does it account for expansion of the universe?
I know it says Universe is eternal, how does that work with gravity? If all the stars and galaxies had infinite time to attract each other why are they still apart? I guess this is a naïve question because no one talks about it but I can't figure it out.

Thank you for answers!

Space news on Phys.org
Can you give a reference for where you are getting your information about the quasi steady state model?

Basically, in steady-state there is exponential expansion driven by a repulsive field, and continuous creation of matter to keep the density of the universe constant.
In QSS there are pulsations between minimum and maximum radii (but not full contractions towards a singularity or near-singularity, and not necessarily simultaneously throughout the entire universe) with matter being created predominantly during the minima from the repulsive field.

In both cases the state of the universe today is representative of how it was for all time (i.e. the perfect cosmological principle - not only every place looks the same, but also every time). Although in the QSS case this condition is comparatively relaxed, with expansion->contraction->creation->expansion oscillations.

Good non-technical overview with lots of historical background:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.3449

1. What is Quasi-steady-state cosmology?

Quasi-steady-state cosmology (QSSC) is a cosmological model proposed as an alternative to the Big Bang theory. It suggests that the universe is in a state of continuous creation, with matter being created at a constant rate to maintain a steady density.

2. How does QSSC differ from the Big Bang theory?

Unlike the Big Bang theory, which proposes a single event of rapid expansion and cooling of the universe, QSSC suggests that the universe has always existed and is continuously expanding at a constant rate. It also does not rely on the concept of a singularity or initial point of creation.

3. What evidence supports QSSC?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence that supports QSSC. Some proponents of the theory point to the observed distribution of galaxies and the cosmic microwave background radiation as potential evidence. However, these observations can also be explained by the Big Bang theory.

4. What are the main criticisms of QSSC?

One of the main criticisms of QSSC is that it does not explain the observed redshift of distant galaxies, which is a key piece of evidence for the Big Bang theory. Additionally, QSSC does not account for the abundance of light elements in the universe, which is another key aspect of the Big Bang theory.

5. Is QSSC widely accepted in the scientific community?

No, QSSC is not widely accepted in the scientific community. The majority of scientists and cosmologists support the Big Bang theory, as it is backed by a significant amount of evidence from various fields of study. QSSC is considered a fringe theory and has not gained widespread acceptance.