Can someone explain the Higgs Boson and its significance in particle physics?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of a Higgs Boson and its implications for physics. The person asking the question is struggling to understand the technical terminology and theories surrounding it. They are hoping for a more simplified explanation from someone knowledgeable in the subject. The response advises starting from a lower level and working up to understanding it properly, or reading a basic overview on Wikipedia.
Souhardya Nandi
Can anyone shed a bit of light on what a Higgs Boson is, how it was discovered and what its discovery implies for physics ?

Likes PhanthomJay
Space news on Phys.org
Souhardya Nandi said:
Can anyone shed a bit of light on what a Higgs Boson is, how it was discovered and what its discovery implies for physics ?
What research have you done so far? What have you found out?

Likes ISamson
I have not really got much of an idea. Most of the articles have too much usage of technical words. I need to know almost every theory on particle physics to get to understand it. So I thought maybe someone over here can cut out the too much adavanced terminology. Also, I can't understand what is meant by a Higgs field and what does zero spin mean. Moreover, how it can explain symmetry breaking and all. Plz elucidate.

Souhardya Nandi said:
I have not really got much of an idea. Most of the articles have too much usage of technical words. I need to know almost every theory on particle physics to get to understand it. So I thought maybe someone over here can cut out the too much adavanced terminology. Also, I can't understand what is meant by a Higgs field and what does zero spin mean. Moreover, how it can explain symmetry breaking and all. Plz elucidate.
You can't truly understand them without using technical terms and mathematics. Start from a lower level and work your way up until you can understand them properly.

Otherwise read the wiki to get the 10k ft view.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the "God particle" Higgs Boson?

The "God particle" is a nickname given to the Higgs Boson, a subatomic particle that was first theorized in the 1960s. It is believed to be responsible for giving other particles their mass and is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How was the Higgs Boson discovered?

The Higgs Boson was discovered through experiments conducted at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland. Physicists used the data from collisions of protons at high energies to identify the presence of the particle.

3. Why is the discovery of the Higgs Boson important?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, a theoretical concept that helps explain how particles obtain mass. This discovery is significant because it helps us better understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

4. Can the Higgs Boson be observed directly?

No, the Higgs Boson cannot be observed directly. It is an extremely unstable particle and decays almost immediately after it is created. However, scientists can infer its existence through the detection of its decay products.

5. What are the potential implications of the Higgs Boson discovery?

The discovery of the Higgs Boson has opened up new avenues for research in particle physics and cosmology. It has also provided evidence for the validity of the Standard Model and may lead to further advancements in our understanding of the universe and its origins.