Can someone explain the process of finding c(n) in an infinite well?

In summary, we're learning about the properties of steady state wave functions confined in an infinite well and how to find the coefficient c(n) that represents the weight of each steady state solution in the general solution. The steady state wave functions form an orthonormal basis and we can express any solution as a unique linear combination of these basis functions. By integrating with the complex conjugate of one of the basis functions, we can solve for the coefficient c(n) associated with that basis function. This is similar to how we find coefficients in finite dimensional inner product spaces.
iScience
we're learning about some of the properties of the steady state wave functions confined in an infinite well. one of the properties was that the steady state wave functions are "complete". and we're learning how to find the coefficient c(n) that "weights" each steady state solution in finding the general solution.

http://i.imgur.com/p0Ewvx8.jpg

can someone please explain to me what exactly I'm doing in the integral in order to find c(n)?

first of all, why am i even doing anything with ψ(m)*? ie how does the 'ψ(m)' come into play? what IS it?? is it just another steady state wave function?

so then in the end is this saying that the coefficient for the nth steady state solution is equal to the steady state solution of ... the orthogonal steady state ψ(m)?..

Physics news on Phys.org
To understand what's happening here, it might help to pretend that there are only a small number of steady-state wave functions, say 4 instead of ∞, then choose a value of m (i.e. one particular coefficient cm to evaluate) and write out the sum explicitly.

i understand the part where the other values go to zero, I'm more confused with the bigger picture; the coefficient c(n) is associated with the steady state psi(n). so what does any other function have to do with c(n)? i just don't understand the role of another function with c(n)

Basically the set of steady-states ##\{\psi_n \}_{n \in \mathbb{Z}}## forms an orthonormal basis for the solution space. Whenever you see "these states form a complete orthonormal set" it's the redundant and pointless physics terminology for "these states form an orthonormal basis". The orthonormal part means ##\int _{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi^{*}_m \psi_n dx = \delta_{mn}## and the complete part means any solution ##f(x)## can be written as a unique linear combination of the ##\psi_n##.

We can therefore express ##f(x)## as ##f(x) = \sum c_n \psi_n##. Now if we integrate both sides with ##\psi^*_m## we get ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*_m f(x)dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \psi^*_m\sum c_n \psi_n dx = \sum c_n \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi^*_m\psi_n dx = \sum c_n \delta_{mn} = c_m## (ignoring the subtleties about exchanging sums and integrals) so all we're doing is using the orthonormality ##\int _{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi^{*}_m \psi_n dx = \delta_{mn}## of the set ##\{\psi_n \}_{n \in \mathbb{Z}}## in order to express the coefficients ##c_n## of the basis expansion of ##f(x)## in terms of ##f(x)## and ##\psi^*_n##.

This is entirely analogous to what we do in finite dimensional inner product spaces. If you have ##\vec{v} = \sum c_n \vec{v}_n## then you say ##c_n = \vec{v}\cdot \vec{v}_n##. It's the same thing here except the finite dimensional inner product (or dot product) is replaced by the integral inner product above.

1. What is a "particle in an infinite well"?

A particle in an infinite well is a simple model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined to a finite space. It involves a particle that is free to move within a specific region, but is constrained by an infinite potential barrier at the boundaries.

2. What is the significance of studying a particle in an infinite well?

Studying a particle in an infinite well allows us to understand the principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and the quantization of energy. It also has implications in various fields such as solid-state physics, chemistry, and material science.

3. How does the energy of a particle in an infinite well vary?

The energy of a particle in an infinite well is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. The lowest energy state, or ground state, has the most stable energy level, while higher energy states are less stable and can only occur in specific energy intervals.

4. What is the Schrödinger equation and how is it used in the study of a particle in an infinite well?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. In the case of a particle in an infinite well, it is used to determine the allowed energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions of the particle within the well.

5. Can the behavior of a particle in an infinite well be observed in real life?

While the concept of a particle in an infinite well is a useful model for understanding quantum mechanics, it is not directly observable in real life. However, similar behavior can be observed in other physical systems, such as electrons in atoms or photons in optical cavities.