Return time to its original state of a particle in the double infinite well

In summary, the wavefunction of a particle in a box returns to its original state in time T=4a2m/(2ħπ)·1/Q.
Javier141241

Homework Statement

First sorry for the traduction mistakes.

Prove that any wave function of a particle in a 1 dimensional infinite double well of width a, returns to its original state in time T=4ma2/(πħ) .

Homework Equations

Ψ(x,t)=∑cnψn(x)·exp(-i·Ent/(ħ))

En=n2π2ħ2/(2ma2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I will explain my reasoning for a simpler case (combination of first two stationary states)
Ψ(x,t)=c1ψ1exp(-i·E1t/(ħ))+c2ψ2exp(-i·E2t/(ħ))
Since the global phase of Ψ doesn't matter ( |Ψ|2 ) you obtain the ω of oscillation taking common factor exp(-i·E1t/(ħ)) and obtaining ω=(E1-E2)/(ħ). Therefore for the wave function to return to the same state it was at t=0, t must be
t·(E1-E2)/(ħ)=2π
this leads to
t=4a2m/(2ħπ)·1/Q where Q its a term dependent of n

Since de statement says for any wave function and I get a similar result but depending of the Ψ in question, what I am missing? I wrote it for a combination of the two first stationary states, how would it be for a combination of n states? (since you can't take common factor the same way.)

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is staring at you and you almost had it. You have
Javier141241 said:
Ψ(x,t)=∑cnψn(x)·exp(-i·Ent/(ħ))
Suppose you factor out exp(-i·E1t/ħ). What happens to the common factor exp(-i·E1t/ħ) at t = T? What happens to each term in the summation at t = T?

I just checked and it seems that doesn't matter which n's you take in (∑Ei)T/ħ, it just turns into multiples of 2π, diferent for each term. Should have checked it before more rigourous ( I was thinking that they couldn't all be 2π at the same time, but wasnt thinking of multiples of 2π).
Thanks for your time!

The wavefunctions of a particle in a box are mathematically the same as the standing waves in a string tied at both ends. The ground state (n=1) of the particle in a box corresponds to the fundamental frequency of the string. Any harmonic frequency is a multiple of the fundamental which means that in the time required for the string to complete one oscillation at the fundamental frequency, it has completed an integer number of oscillations at all harmonic frequencies.

1. How do you calculate the return time to its original state of a particle in the double infinite well?

The return time to its original state of a particle in the double infinite well can be calculated using the formula t = (2mL2)/(n2h), where m is the mass of the particle, L is the length of the well, n is the quantum number, and h is the Planck's constant.

2. What is the significance of the return time to its original state in the double infinite well?

The return time to its original state is an important aspect in understanding the dynamics of a particle in the double infinite well. It represents the time it takes for the particle to return to its initial state after undergoing quantum tunneling.

3. Can the return time to its original state be manipulated?

No, the return time to its original state is a fundamental property of the particle and cannot be manipulated. It is determined by the physical characteristics of the particle and the well.

4. How does the return time to its original state change with different quantum numbers?

The return time to its original state is inversely proportional to the square of the quantum number. This means that as the quantum number increases, the return time decreases, indicating a shorter time for the particle to return to its original state after tunneling.

5. Is the return time to its original state affected by other factors?

The return time to its original state is mainly affected by the physical properties of the particle and the well. However, external factors such as temperature and energy levels of the particle can also have an impact on the return time.