Can someone explain the steps to me please

• Thread starter darius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, by applying the mean value theorem to the function h=f-g, where f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), we can prove that f(b)<g(b) by showing that h(b)=h(b)-h(a)=h'(c)(b-a) and since h'(c)<0, this means that f(b)-g(b)=h(b)<0, which implies that f(b)<g(b).
darius
the question is if f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b). Suppose also that f(a)=g(a) and f'(x)<g'(x) for a<x<b. Prove that
f(b)<g(b). The hint is to apply the mean value theorem to the function
h=f-g
So assume that h=f-g. Since f and g are continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b) the mean value theorem applies by which there has to be a number such that h(b)= h(b)-h(a)=h'(c)(b-a). Since h'(c)<0 then h'(c)(b-a)<0, so
f(b)-g(b)=h(b)<0 and hence f(b)<g(b).
in this explanation why is h(b)=h(b)-h(a) and why is h'(c)<O. :confused:

The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a proof, a torrent of verbiage for a torrent of capital truths, and ourselves for an oracle, is inborn in us--Paul Valerey

Physics news on Phys.org
h(a)=f(a)-g(a)=0, and h'(c)<0 since h'(x)=f'(x)-g'(x)<0 for all x between a and b.

Please bear with me. I am new to calculus. Will be starting college in the fall and am learning now on my own. Thank you for your help status!

Last edited:

1. What are the basic steps to understanding a scientific concept?

The basic steps to understanding a scientific concept are to first define the concept and its key terms, then gather information and evidence from reliable sources, analyze the data using scientific methods, draw conclusions based on the evidence, and communicate your findings clearly.

2. How can I better understand complex scientific processes?

To better understand complex scientific processes, it can be helpful to break them down into smaller steps, use visual aids or diagrams, and seek out additional resources or explanations from experts in the field.

3. What is the importance of following a specific order or procedure in scientific experiments?

Following a specific order or procedure in scientific experiments ensures that the results are accurate, replicable, and can be compared to other experiments. It also helps to eliminate any potential biases or errors that may affect the outcome.

4. Can you explain the steps of the scientific method?

The scientific method involves the following steps: observation, question, hypothesis, prediction, experiment, analysis, and conclusion. These steps are used to systematically investigate a phenomenon and determine its cause or effect.

5. How can I effectively explain complex scientific ideas to others?

To effectively explain complex scientific ideas to others, it is important to use clear and concise language, provide examples or analogies, and encourage questions and discussion. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or demonstrations to enhance understanding.