Can someone help me figure out what to mark off on this graph?

In summary, the y-intercept is (0,-3), the x-intercepts are (-3,0) and (1,0), and you should research more algebra 1 before tackling algebra 2 topics.
a723w6
Can someone help me figure out what to mark off on this graph? I am a beginner in Algebra 2 domain and range functions.

Functions.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
what are your choices for statements that are true?

recommend watching this video if you don’t have a clue ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked these as my initial choices, but I don't know if they're right.

Functions 1.png

how can the range be all y-values and y > -4 at the same time?

you also say there is no minimum y-value, yet you also say the minimum is -4. ?

watch the video.

Now I have this.

Functions 2.png

the minimum value of a function is the lowest y-value on the graph.

your choice for the range is still incorrect.

what is the graph’s y-intercept?

I changed my answer. It looks like the graph's y-intercept is (0, -3).

Functions 3.png

ok ...

what are the x-intercepts?

The x - intercepts are (-3, 0) and (1, 0).

ok

you really need more algebra 1 review of graphing before tackling algebra 2 topics

recommend you do some research, view videos, etc.

good luck

Wait, what exactly did I say wrong?

I have this now.

Function 4.png

a723w6 said:
Wait, what exactly did I say wrong?

nothing srong, I’m just concerned that you had to be led through a series of questions to make the correct choices

the y-intercept is (0,-3), not (-3,0) ... you stated it correctly in post #7, but you checked (-3,0) in post #12.

attention to detail, get my drift?

So all of my answers were correct in post #7?

I am a little bit uncomfortable with saying "the domain is all x-values" when we are shown only a portion of the graph. We can assume that the graph continues in the same way way but we can't be certain just by looking at that graph. IF this graph shows the entire function THEN the domain is $-4.2\le x\le 2.2$.

1. How do I interpret the data on the graph?

To interpret the data on the graph, first look at the axes and their labels. The horizontal axis typically represents the independent variable while the vertical axis represents the dependent variable. Then, look at the data points and their corresponding values on the axes to determine the relationship between the variables.

2. What type of graph should I use to represent my data?

The type of graph you should use depends on the type of data you have and the relationship you want to show. Some common types of graphs include line graphs, bar graphs, and scatter plots. Consider the type of data and the story you want to tell with the graph before deciding on the type.

3. How do I choose the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of a graph refers to the range of values shown on the axes. To choose an appropriate scale, consider the range of values in your data and choose a scale that allows for easy interpretation of the data. Avoid using a scale that is too small or too large, as it can distort the data and make it difficult to read.

4. Can I use a graph to make predictions?

Yes, graphs can be used to make predictions by extrapolating or interpolating the data. Extrapolation involves extending the trend shown in the data beyond the given range, while interpolation involves estimating values within the given range. However, it is important to note that predictions made from graphs are not always accurate and should be interpreted with caution.

5. How do I choose the appropriate title for my graph?

The title of a graph should accurately reflect the data being shown and the relationship between the variables. It should also be concise and informative. Consider including the variables being plotted and any important details or trends shown in the graph when choosing a title.