Can someone help me find the derivative of y=$\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}$?

In summary, the online homework system gives me the wrong answer for y$^{\prime}$ when I solve for x. I think I did it correctly, but I'm not sure. Can someone please check?
lastochka
Hi, this is my online homework exercise. I think I did it right, but the system gives me wrong answer...
Can someone please check what I did
y=$\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}$

y$^{\prime}$=$\frac{1}{2}$((x+(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$))$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$x$^\frac{-1}{2}$))
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this your answer?

View attachment 4049

If no, then we can work towards getting that answer. :D

Attachments

• differentiation.PNG
    differentiation.PNG
    1.7 KB · Views: 55
Yes, this is what I have so far...
I am not sure how to do it your way.
Is what I did completely wrong??

lastochka said:
Hi, this is my online homework exercise. I think I did it right, but the system gives me wrong answer...

y$^{\prime}$=$\frac{1}{2}$((x+(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$))$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$x$^\frac{-1}{2}$))
Thank you in advance!

Hi lastochka,

You seem to have a parenthesis in the wrong place.
It should be:
y$^{\prime}$=$\frac{1}{2}$(x+(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$(x+${x}^{\frac{1}{2}}$)$^\frac{-1}{2}$(1+$\frac{1}{2}$x$^\frac{-1}{2}$))

$$\d{}{x}\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}$$

Let $g(x)=\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}$ (for ease of reading)

Now, we have:
$$\d{}{x}\sqrt{x+g(x)}$$
$$=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+g(x)}}\cdot (1+g'(x))$$Evaluate $g'(x)$
$$g'(x)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}\cdot (1+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}})=\frac{1+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}}{2\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}$$

Combining the answers:

$$\d{}{x}\sqrt{x+g(x)}=\frac{ (1+g'(x))}{2\sqrt{x+g(x)}}=\frac{ 1+\frac{1+\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}}{2\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}}{2\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}}$$

lastochka said:

Thank you in advance!

Implicit differentiation may be easiest to use in this case:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} y &= \sqrt{ x + \sqrt{ x + \sqrt{ x } } } \\ y^2 &= x + \sqrt{ x + \sqrt{x}} \\ y^2 - x &= \sqrt{ x + \sqrt{x}} \\ \left( y^2 - x \right) ^2 &= x + \sqrt{x} \\ y^4 - 2x\,y^2 + x^2 &= x + \sqrt{x} \\ \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \, \left( y^4 - 2x\,y^2 + x^2 \right) &= \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \, \left( x + \sqrt{x} \right) \\ 4y^3\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} - 2 \left( y^2 + 2x\,y\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} \right) + 2x &= 1 + \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}} \\ 4y^3\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} - 2y^2 - 4x\,y\,\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} + 2x &= 1 + \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}} \\ 4y \, \left( y^2 - x \right) \, \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= 1 + \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}} - 2x + 2y^2 \\ \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} &= \frac{1 + \frac{1}{2\,\sqrt{x}} - 2x +2y^2}{4y\,\left( y^2 - x \right) } \end{align*}$

and when you substitute y in and simplify you should get the same as the answer given.

Thank you, everyone for your help!

Related to Can someone help me find the derivative of y=$\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x+\sqrt{x}}}$?

1. What is the definition of "differentiate expression"?

"Differentiate expression" refers to the process of finding the rate of change of a mathematical function with respect to one of its variables. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is often used to solve problems involving motion, growth, and optimization.

2. How do you differentiate an expression?

To differentiate an expression, you need to apply the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the derivative of each term in the expression. This involves using formulas and rules such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is important to understand these rules and practice using them to effectively differentiate expressions.

3. What is the purpose of differentiating an expression?

The purpose of differentiating an expression is to find the rate of change of a function. This can be useful in solving real-world problems, such as finding the velocity of an object at a certain time or maximizing profits for a business. It is also used in higher-level mathematics to solve more complex problems and understand the behavior of functions.

4. Can you differentiate any type of function?

Yes, any differentiable function can be differentiated. This includes polynomial functions, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and more. However, some functions may require more advanced techniques, such as implicit differentiation or the use of logarithmic or inverse trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when differentiating expressions?

One common mistake when differentiating expressions is forgetting to use the chain rule when differentiating composite functions. It is also important to be careful with signs, especially when using the quotient rule. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have used the correct rules and formulas for the given expression.