Can someone help me simplify radical numbers in geometry?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying radical numbers and the speaker requests help with their homework problems. They also share a helpful link for simplifying radicals and ask for clarification on division and when a number is placed before the square root.
Lou1024
Hey everyone,
My class recently started radical numbers, and I haven't a clue on how you simplify them!
Heres a few of my homework problems. if someone could possibly walk me through how you do them It would be greatly appreciated.

http://img495.imageshack.us/img495/6903/math0oj.png

Sorry for the bad paint job :)
Thanks,

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll write you one.

sqrt(20) = sqrt(4*5) = 2*sqrt(5)

See what I did? I found perfect scares and are part of the product of the number 20.

I believe that's what you're doing.

ah ok thanks, I understand that part. But what do you do for division, or when you have a number before the square root?

Thanks for the link. :cool:

Related to Can someone help me simplify radical numbers in geometry?

1. What are radical numbers in geometry?

Radical numbers in geometry refer to numbers that involve a square root or other root operation. These numbers can be used to represent the length of a side or diagonal of a geometric figure, and are often used in calculations involving area and volume.

2. How are radical numbers represented in geometry?

In geometry, radical numbers are represented using the symbol √, which stands for square root. For other root operations, the index of the root is written as a small number above the radical symbol. For example, the third root of a number would be written as ³√.

3. What is the relationship between radical numbers and irrational numbers?

Radical numbers can also be referred to as irrational numbers, as they cannot be expressed as a simple fraction or decimal. This is because they involve a root operation, which cannot be simplified into a whole number.

4. How are radical numbers used in geometry calculations?

In geometry, radical numbers are commonly used to find the length of a side or diagonal of a geometric figure. They are also used in calculations involving area and volume, as they represent the square root of a measurement and can help determine the size of a figure.

5. What are some examples of radical numbers in geometry?

Some examples of radical numbers in geometry include √2, √3, √5, and √10. These numbers cannot be simplified into whole numbers and are often used to represent the length of a side or diagonal in a geometric figure.