Can someone identify what this graph is used for?

In summary: L = product of reaction rate constant and lengthIn summary, this graph is a nomograph for comparing the performance of CSTRs and PFRs for first order reactions. It is used to determine the axial dispersion and residence time in a tubular chemical reactor, represented by the variables Dd/(vxL) and kL/vx respectively. These types of graphs were popular before the advent of personal computers and calculators. The variables in the graph represent the axial dispersion coefficient, axial velocity, length of tube, first order reaction rate constant, and the product of axial velocity and length.
Dong Aleta
Hi, I was asked by my senior to find out what this graph is and how to use it. No details were given as to where they found it.

I know already that this is used to compare CSTRs and PFRs performance for first order reactions, but I can't deduce what the expressions Dd/(vxL) and kL/vx are for and what the variables represent.

Thanks a lot!

graph.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
In general, these kinds of graphs are called nomograms or nomographs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomogram

They were popular before the advent of personal computers and calculators.

What this particular one is, I'm not sure but I found this website with a similar chart:

http://slideplayer.com/slide/10044354/
Hey, thanks for the response!

Yeah, I'm familiar with nomographs. I just can't determine what the variables in the graph represent.

But thanks a lot for this information! I really appreciate it!

This graph is for a tubular chemical reactor in which there is axial mixing/dispersion. The velocity profile is assumed to be flat. The reaction is assumed to be first order decay. The dimensionless group ##D_d/v_xL## is a measure of the axial dispersion, and is the inverse of the Peclet number. The dimensionless group ##kL/v_x## is the ratio of the residence time in the tube to the characteristic decay time for the reaction.

##D_d## = axial dispersion coefficient
##v_x## = axial velocity
L = length of tube
k = first order reaction rate constant

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of creating a graph?

The purpose of creating a graph is to visually represent and analyze data in a clear and concise manner. It allows for easier interpretation and comparison of data points, making it a useful tool for data analysis.

2. How do you choose the right type of graph for your data?

The type of graph used depends on the type of data being presented and the purpose of the analysis. For example, a line graph is useful for showing trends over time, while a bar graph is better for comparing different categories of data. It is important to consider the type of data and the message you want to convey before choosing a graph.

3. Can a graph be used to make predictions?

While a graph can show trends and patterns in data, it cannot predict future outcomes. However, it can provide insight into potential future outcomes based on the data presented.

4. What factors should be considered when creating a graph?

When creating a graph, it is important to consider the audience, the purpose of the analysis, and the type of data being presented. It is also important to choose appropriate labels, scales, and colors to accurately represent the data.

5. How do you interpret a graph?

To interpret a graph, one must first understand the type of data being presented and the purpose of the analysis. Then, the key elements of the graph, such as the axes, labels, and data points, should be examined to understand the relationships and patterns within the data.