Can Sound Travel Fast Enough to Warn a Man of a Falling Flower Pot?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations and equations used to determine the distance at which a flower pot can fall from a balcony before it is too late for a shouted warning to reach the person below. The analysis involves considering the time it takes for the sound to travel and the response time of the person, as well as the distance and time of fall for the flower pot. By using the correct coefficients and algebraic expressions, the correct answer can be calculated. Similar methods can be applied in other physics problems for accurate results.
buttterfly41
A flower pot is knocked off a balcony 21.6 m above the sidewalk and falls toward an unsuspecting 1.79 m-tall man who is standing below. How close to the sidewalk can the flower pot fall before it is too late for a shouted warning from the balcony to reach the man in time? Assume that the man below requires 0.300 s to respond to the warning.

So i (21.6-1.79)m / 343m/s = .05776s + .3s = .35776s to yell and have the man react
then, 21.6m= 1/2 * 9.8m/s2 *T^2 ... T= 2.0996 - .35776s = 1.74181s for latest time to wait before yelling,

so i thought the answer should be: 1/2 * 9.8m/s2 * 1.7418^2 = 14.86m down, so 5.74m from the ground... but that is not correct :(

any ideas where i went wrong?

----------

Also, A sound wave in air has a pressure amplitude equal to 3.94 X10^-3 Pa. Calculate the displacement amplitude of the wave at a frequency of 10.5 kHz.

(Note: Use the following values, as needed. The equilibrium density of air is p= 1.20 kg/m3; the speed of sound in air is v = 343 m/s. Pressure variations P are measured relative to atmospheric pressure, 1.013 x10^5 Pa.)

so, i thought i would use the equation deltaPmax= pwvsmax
and then i plugged the numbers in (w=2pif=65973)... 1.013E5 = 1.2*65973*343*smax
smax= .00373m ... but again, wrong... so i don't know where to go from here

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
buttterfly41 said:
A flower pot is knocked off a balcony 21.6 m above the sidewalk and falls toward an unsuspecting 1.79 m-tall man who is standing below. How close to the sidewalk can the flower pot fall before it is too late for a shouted warning from the balcony to reach the man in time? Assume that the man below requires 0.300 s to respond to the warning.

So i (21.6-1.79)m / 343m/s = .05776s + .3s = .35776s to yell and have the man react
then, 21.6m= 1/2 * 9.8m/s2 *T^2 ... T= 2.0996 - .35776s = 1.74181s for latest time to wait before yelling,

so i thought the answer should be: 1/2 * 9.8m/s2 * 1.7418^2 = 14.86m down, so 5.74m from the ground... but that is not correct.
In physics one has to do the analysis first using algebra. Once you have the physics down, plug in numbers but not before. It makes it easier to see and it usually saves a lot of work.

First of all, as you have correctly noted, the time required is the time it takes for the sound to travel from the balcony to the man + the response time of the man. What is the total time of fall before the pot reaches the position of the man's head? So what is the time that the pot can fall before the warning is given? Write out the algebraic expression for that time and plug in the numbers. [Hint: the total distance of fall is not 21.6 metres. I think this is where you went wrong]

Second, relate the time it has been falling to the distance it has fallen. Write the algebraic expression for that distance. Plug in your numbers.

AM

Last edited:
thank you very much... i fixed both of my problems with your adivce... because for both of them i put in one wrong number for a coefficient... so again, thank you for you help ;0

Jenni

Related to Can Sound Travel Fast Enough to Warn a Man of a Falling Flower Pot?

What is a sound wave problem?

A sound wave problem is a type of problem that involves the analysis, calculation, and understanding of sound waves. This includes topics such as frequency, amplitude, wavelength, and speed of sound.

What are the applications of solving sound wave problems?

Solving sound wave problems is crucial in various fields such as engineering, acoustics, music, and communication. It is used to design and optimize sound systems, improve sound quality, and understand the behavior of sound waves in different environments.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of sound?

The formula for calculating the speed of sound is v = fλ, where v is the speed of sound, f is the frequency, and λ is the wavelength. This formula is based on the relationship between the speed, frequency, and wavelength of a sound wave.

How do you determine the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave can be determined by counting the number of wave cycles per second. This can be done using a frequency meter or by using the formula f = v/λ, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of sound, and λ is the wavelength.

What is the difference between a longitudinal and transverse sound wave?

A longitudinal sound wave travels in the same direction as the vibration of the particles, while a transverse sound wave travels perpendicular to the vibration. This means that longitudinal waves have compressions and rarefactions, while transverse waves have crests and troughs.