Can sound travel through clay?

• Thread starter Knightycloud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Clay Sound
In summary, sound can travel through non-elastic materials such as clay, but it may not resonate due to its inability to vibrate. However, a pulse can still travel through it. This is because sound can travel through any continuous medium, including solids, liquids, gases, and mixtures.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

Does sound travel through clay?

Homework Equations

V=√(Young module/Density)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've read this from a book and it says the clay is a non-elastic material, so sound doesn't travel through. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Knightycloud! :smile:
Knightycloud said:
I've read this from a book and it says the clay is a non-elastic material, so sound doesn't travel through. Is that correct?

No.

Sound travels through anything.

If you tap one side of a lump of clay, a pulse will travel through it that you can feel on the other side.

I think they mean that clay doesn't resonate.

eg, from http://www.bse.ph/download/EASE%20MODULES/SCIENCE/PHYSICS/Module%2016%20Sound.pdf …

However, when the frequency of forced vibration on an object matches the object's natural frequency, a large increase in amplitude occurs. This is called resonance …
Inelastic materials like clay do not resonate since they are incapable of vibrations. In order for something to resonate, it needs a force to pull it back to its starting position …​

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes 1 person
Understood. Thank you! :D

tiny-tim said:
Sound travels through anything.

If you tap one side of a lump of clay, a pulse will travel through it that you can feel on the other side.

I think they mean that clay doesn't resonate.

eg, from http://www.bse.ph/download/EASE%20MODULES/SCIENCE/PHYSICS/Module%2016%20Sound.pdf …

However, when the frequency of forced vibration on an object matches the object's natural frequency, a large increase in amplitude occurs. This is called resonance …
Inelastic materials like clay do not resonate since they are incapable of vibrations. In order for something to resonate, it needs a force to pull it back to its starting position …​
I guess it depends what you mean by sound. Yes, an impulse will travel through clay, but as the passage you quote indicates a rarefaction does not. Consequently a sound wave cannot be said to travel through clay.

Last edited by a moderator:
So that means sound doesn't go through non-elastic materials?

And fyi, my question is related to 'Velocity of sound through materials' part of physics.

Knightycloud said:
I'm saying it depends what you mean by sound going through something.
If you take a box full of clay and whack it on one side you will feel something on the other side. But you may find that vertical cracks have now opened up in the clay so that further whacks are barely transmitted (unless more powerful). If the clay is sufficiently deep that gravitational pressure closes up the gaps then it will behave more like an elastic material.

Likes 1 person
Knightycloud said:

no

earthquakes go through clay

if you play music on one side of a piece of clay, you can hear it (very badly!) on the other side :smile:

(but you wouldn't get those nice resonances and overtones … this is why violins aren't made of clay! :wink:)

Haha! ^_^
So I see it depends with the type and the state of a material. Sound can't travel through a vacuum like thing where it can't pulse anymore. Am I right?

Knightycloud said:
… a vacuum like thing …

do you mean a vacuum? :rolleyes:

yes, a pulse can travel through anything, so long as it's continuous (solid, liquid, gas, mixture …)​

Thank you for the support! Both of you. I learned many facts than just an answer! :D

1. How does sound travel through clay?

Sound travels through clay by creating vibrations in the particles of the clay. These vibrations are then transferred from one particle to another, causing the sound to travel through the clay medium.

2. Does sound travel faster or slower through clay compared to air?

Sound travels faster through clay compared to air because the particles in clay are more closely packed together, allowing for quicker transfer of vibrations.

3. Can sound travel through all types of clay?

Yes, sound can travel through all types of clay as long as it is solid and not porous. Porous clay, such as pottery clay, may absorb some of the sound energy, making it less efficient for sound transmission.

4. How does the thickness of the clay affect sound transmission?

The thicker the layer of clay, the more energy is required for sound to travel through it. This is because the sound waves have to travel a longer distance and may also encounter more obstacles in their path.

5. Can sound travel through wet clay?

Yes, sound can travel through wet clay. However, the presence of water in the clay can affect the speed and efficiency of sound transmission. The water may absorb some of the sound energy, resulting in a decrease in volume and clarity of the sound.