Finding velocity of lump of clay. (Not too sure on answer)

In summary, two lumps of clay with equal mass collide on frictionless ice, with one moving at 4.8 m/s to the right and the other at 2.3 m/s to the left. After the collision, they stick together and have a final velocity of 1.25 m/s. The direction of the final velocity is not specified. The total kinetic energy is not conserved, as it either increased or decreased from its initial value. The values used to calculate the final velocity were m1 and m2 equal to 3.5 kg, v1 equal to -2.3 m/s, and v2 equal to 4.8 m/s.
fantisism

Homework Statement

Two lumps of clay, each with the same mass 3.5 kg, are sliding on ice, with no friction. One is moving at 4.8 m/s to the right, the other is moving at 2.3 m/s to the left. They collide and stick to one another. Calculate the velocity of the lump of clay after the collision. Is the total kinetic energy constant?

Homework Equations

(m1+m2)vf=m1v1+m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituted m1 and m2=3.5 kg, v1=-2.3 m/s, and v2=4.8 m/s. With that, I got vf=1.25 m/s. I'm almost sure that one of the velocity is negative since one lump of clay is moving in the opposite direction away from the other. For the second question of whether or not total kinetic energy is constant, I said no.

Physics news on Phys.org
fantisism said:

Homework Statement

Two lumps of clay, each with the same mass 3.5 kg, are sliding on ice, with no friction. One is moving at 4.8 m/s to the right, the other is moving at 2.3 m/s to the left. They collide and stick to one another. Calculate the velocity of the lump of clay after the collision. Is the total kinetic energy constant?

Homework Equations

(m1+m2)vf=m1v1+m2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituted m1 and m2=3.5 kg, v1=-2.3 m/s, and v2=4.8 m/s. With that, I got vf=1.25 m/s. I'm almost sure that one of the velocity is negative since one lump of clay is moving in the opposite direction away from the other. For the second question of whether or not total kinetic energy is constant, I said no.
The final speed is correct, but you should state, what is the direction of it.
Yes, the kinetic energy is not conserved, but you should show its numerical value. Did it increased or decreased with respect to the initial one?

What is the formula for finding the velocity of a lump of clay?

The formula for finding velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

How do you measure the distance traveled by a lump of clay?

The distance traveled by a lump of clay can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place the clay on a flat surface and measure the distance from its initial position to its final position.

What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Can the velocity of a lump of clay change while in motion?

Yes, the velocity of a lump of clay can change while in motion if there is a change in its speed or direction.

How can the velocity of a lump of clay be calculated if it changes over time?

If the velocity of a lump of clay changes over time, it can be calculated by finding the slope of the line on a distance-time graph or by using the formula a = (vf-vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.