Can the Beta carbons of ketones act as nucleophiles? And one more question.

• Thread starter MechRocket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Act Beta
In summary: The way I was trained to think about these reactions is to consider what can happen first ... in this case, protonation of the OH group of the carboxylic acid would be my choice (proton transfer reactions are generally the fastest processes possible). The protonated OH group (i.e. water) is an excellent leaving group for a substitution reaction, which takes place by the electrophilic substitution mechanism called Friedel-Crafts acylation.The elimination of water leaves a R-C=O+ group behind, which then attacks at the ortho-position of the aromatic ring (the beta carbon). At this point we have closed the ring, but we still have a cation
MechRocket
[PLAIN]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4545/asdfrr.jpg

I'm wondering what the mechanism would be of the reaction in the pic I've attached. It does seem the Beta carbon acts as a nucleophile and attacks the carboxylic acid.

I have a couple of questions, one general (#1) and one specific to the reaction shown (#2).

1. Does the Beta carbon of alpha, beta unsaturated ketones usually act as nucleophiles? I don't remember seeing any of these types of reactions in my undergrad course. Usually, a nucleophile is attacking the Beta carbon in an addition reaction.

2. Even in the presence of a catalyst, I don't know why this reaction can happen. The benzene ring is strongly de-activated is it not? It has a very electron-withdrawing group attached to it. Could it be because the compound is so extensively conjugated that the cation intermediate that forms (+ charge on the alpha carbon) is still relatively stable? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
MechRocket said:
[PLAIN]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4545/asdfrr.jpg

I'm wondering what the mechanism would be of the reaction in the pic I've attached. It does seem the Beta carbon acts as a nucleophile and attacks the carboxylic acid.

I have a couple of questions, one general (#1) and one specific to the reaction shown (#2).

1. Does the Beta carbon of ketones usually act as nucleophiles? I don't remember seeing any of these types of reactions in my undergrad course. Usually, a nucleophile is attacking the Beta carbon in an addition reaction.

Not sure about that, but I think you are correct. However, when the beta carbon is in an aromatic ring, then the effects of resonance stabilization have to be accounted for.

2. Even in the presence of a catalyst, I don't know why this reaction can happen. The benzene ring is strongly de-activated is it not? It has a very electron-withdrawing group attached to it. Could it be because the compound is so extensively conjugated that the cation intermediate that forms (+ charge on the alpha carbon) is still relatively stable?

Thanks!

The way I was trained to think about these reactions is to consider what can happen first ... in this case, protonation of the OH group of the carboxylic acid would be my choice (proton transfer reactions are generally the fastest processes possible). The protonated OH group (i.e. water) is an excellent leaving group for a substitution reaction, which takes place by the electrophilic substitution mechanism called Friedel-Crafts acylation.

The elimination of water leaves a R-C=O+ group behind, which then attacks at the ortho-position of the aromatic ring (the beta carbon). At this point we have closed the ring, but we still have a cation with an extra proton, but that's fine, because we expect a high degree of protonation of anthaquinione in the highly acidic H2SO4 environment. The proton will rearrange from it's unfavorable site on the beta carbon, to one of the carbonyl groups, restoring the full aromaticity of the molecule.

Part of the facility of this mechanism undoubtedly has to do with the enforced steric proximity of the electrophilic CO carbon to the beta carbon in the aromatic ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
My organic chemistry is long ago, but isn't that a simple Friedel Crafts acylation?
Edit: Should have read SpectraCat's answer till the end.

Thanks SC. :)

I can provide some insight into this question. The Beta carbons of ketones can indeed act as nucleophiles under certain conditions. In general, the reactivity of the Beta carbon in alpha, beta unsaturated ketones is dependent on the substituents attached to the Beta carbon. If the substituents are electron-withdrawing, such as in the case of the benzene ring in the attached image, the Beta carbon is less likely to act as a nucleophile. However, in the presence of a strong base or nucleophile, the Beta carbon can still undergo nucleophilic attack.

In regards to the specific reaction shown in the attached image, the mechanism is likely a conjugate addition reaction. The strong electron-withdrawing group on the benzene ring may make the reaction less favorable, but the extensive conjugation in the molecule can help stabilize any intermediate cations that may form. Additionally, the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy for the reaction and make it more feasible.

Overall, while the Beta carbon in ketones may not typically act as a nucleophile, it is still possible under certain conditions. The specific reaction shown in the image may be feasible due to the presence of a strong base or nucleophile, the extensive conjugation in the molecule, and the use of a catalyst.

1. Can the beta carbons of ketones act as nucleophiles?

Yes, the beta carbons of ketones can act as nucleophiles. This is because the beta carbon is an electron-rich center due to the presence of the carbonyl group, making it susceptible to attack by electrophiles.

2. How does the beta carbon of ketones act as a nucleophile?

The beta carbon of ketones can act as a nucleophile by donating a pair of electrons to an electrophile, forming a new bond. This can occur through either an acidic or basic mechanism.

3. What is the importance of the beta carbon in ketones?

The beta carbon in ketones plays an important role in nucleophilic reactions as it allows for the formation of new bonds. It also influences the reactivity and stability of the ketone molecule.

4. Can other functional groups besides ketones have beta carbons that act as nucleophiles?

Yes, other functional groups such as aldehydes, esters, and amides can also have beta carbons that act as nucleophiles. This is due to the presence of a carbonyl group, which is a common feature among these functional groups.

5. What types of reactions can occur with the beta carbon of ketones as a nucleophile?

The beta carbon of ketones can undergo various types of reactions as a nucleophile, including nucleophilic addition, substitution, and elimination reactions. These reactions can lead to the formation of new carbon-carbon and carbon-heteroatom bonds.

One more question: Why is the reactivity of the beta carbon of ketones higher than the alpha carbon?

The reactivity of the beta carbon of ketones is higher than the alpha carbon due to the presence of the carbonyl group, which is an electron-withdrawing group. This makes the beta carbon more electron-rich and therefore more reactive towards nucleophilic attack.