Can the Convergence of a Sequence be Proven by Using Epsilon and Inequalities?

• Thread starter sebasvargasl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the convergence of a sequence a_n when given the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent with abs(p)<q. The person asking for help has tried using Cauchy's definition and messing with inequalities, but hasn't fully understood the significance of abs(p)<q in the proof. A hint is given to consider possible counterexamples if the inequality is not true, and to use the epsilon definition to prove the theorem.
sebasvargasl
Hello Physics Forums community! I've been struggling for a while with this one
emoticon-0121-angry.gif
; so basically a sequence a_n is given to us such that the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent where abs(p)<q. I need to prove a_n is convergent also. Any hint would be of so much help, thank you.

(I've tried proving it is Cauchy but no insight ever comes, just messing with inequalities. I haven't fully understood the role played by abs(p)<q)

Physics news on Phys.org
sebasvargasl said:
Hello Physics Forums community! I've been struggling for a while with this one
emoticon-0121-angry.gif
; so basically a sequence a_n is given to us such that the sequence b_n defined by b_n = pa_n + qa_(n+1) is convergent where abs(p)<q. I need to prove a_n is convergent also. Any hint would be of so much help, thank you.

(I've tried proving it is Cauchy but no insight ever comes, just messing with inequalities. I haven't fully understood the role played by abs(p)<q)

You can start by trying to think what could go wrong if ##|p|<q## isn't true. Suppose ##a_n=(-1)^n## and ##p=1## and ##q=1##.

I'm well aware of the counter examples when the inequality doesn't hold. I just can't find a way to prove the theorem; and to do this I need to fully understand the importance of the inequality. I can't see it intuitively

You can use the definition in terms of epsilon.

What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

Convergence in a sequence means that as the sequence progresses, the terms get closer and closer to a fixed value. In other words, the terms of the sequence are getting closer to a specific number as the sequence progresses.

Why is it important to prove that a sequence converges?

Proving that a sequence converges is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the sequence and make accurate predictions about its future terms. It also helps us understand the underlying patterns and relationships within the sequence.

How do you prove that a sequence converges?

To prove that a sequence converges, we typically use the definition of convergence which states that for any small positive number (epsilon), there exists a specific term in the sequence (N) after which all the remaining terms are within epsilon distance from the limit. This can be shown using algebraic manipulations and logical arguments.

What are some common techniques used to prove convergence of a sequence?

Some common techniques used to prove convergence of a sequence include the squeeze theorem, the monotone convergence theorem, and the ratio test. These techniques involve using known mathematical theorems and properties to show that the sequence converges.

What happens if a sequence does not converge?

If a sequence does not converge, it is said to be divergent. This means that the terms of the sequence do not get closer to a fixed value and the behavior of the sequence is unpredictable. In some cases, the sequence may diverge to positive or negative infinity, or it may oscillate between different values.