Can the floor function be used in integration from 0 to 2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the floor function [x] and the function [x/2]. The integral is taken from 0 to 2 and the question arises whether the floor function always results in 0. It is suggested to graph the functions and see that the area under the step function is 1. Integrating the function conventionally will always result in 0, but it is possible to convert the problem into a summation for evaluation. The conversation concludes by mentioning that for a general case, the integral of the floor function can be evaluated by breaking it at each point of discontinuity and using it as an integration limit.
Integral8850

Homework Statement

Integral [x] - 2[x/2] dx limits are 0 to 2

I am using [] to represent the floor function.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Of course normal integration gives

x^2/2 - x^2/2 which gives 0 for all cases, So is it right to assume a floor function (not continuous) is always 0?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't 'assume' something is equal to zero. You 'show' something is equal to zero. Draw a graph of [x]+2*[x/2] between 0 and 2. It's just a step function.

Integral8850 said:
Of course normal integration gives

x^2/2 - x^2/2 which gives 0 for all cases, So is it right to assume a floor function (not continuous) is always 0?
Thanks!

I don't think it's a good idea to use the answer for the continuous functions as a basis for the answer for the floor function. There are too many pitfalls with doing this.

In this case, the answer is clearly not zero. You can quickly graph out the functions and see the answer by inspection.

In more difficult cases, there are probably good methods to use. I've never had to do this before, but it seems to me you can probably convert some integrals (such as your case) to summation expressions.

Thanks, I did construct the graph. I guess I should have worded the question better. Can a step function have area?

Integral8850 said:
Thanks, I did construct the graph. I guess I should have worded the question better. Can a step function have area?

Why not? The area under a step function is just the sum of the signed areas of some rectangles, isn't it?

I can clearly see that the graphs area is 1, however integrating [x]-2[x/2] conventionally will always give 0. I guess I should ask is there a special integration for a step function? Thanks

Integral8850 said:
I can clearly see that the graphs area is 1, however integrating [x]-2[x/2] conventionally will always give 0. I guess I should ask is there a special integration for a step function? Thanks

Personally, I would attempt to convert the problem to a summation (when possible), rather than an integral. There are techniques and tables for evaluation of summations, just as there are for integrals.

Integral8850 said:

If you can see that the graphs area is 1, then I think you've solved the problem. You can certainly write down special rules for integrating step functions. But they are going to look complicated, and on a simple problem like this, it's really not worth it.

Thanks for your help!

in general if you want to integrate the floor function from say 0 to x where n<x<n+1, then what you need to do is break your integral at each point of discontinuity and use it as your integration limit, this way you will get a sum of integrals, and the last integral will be from n to x.

Related to Can the floor function be used in integration from 0 to 2?

What is a floor function?

The floor function, denoted by the symbol ⌊x⌋, takes a real number x and rounds it down to the nearest integer. This means that the result of the floor function is always a whole number that is equal to or less than the input.

How is the floor function used in integration?

The floor function is used in integration when dealing with piecewise functions, where the function changes at certain intervals. It helps to define the integral in terms of different sections of the function, making it easier to evaluate.

What is the general formula for integrating a floor function?

The general formula for integrating a floor function is: ∫⌊x⌋dx = x⌊x⌋ - ∫x⌊x⌋dx + C, where C is the constant of integration.

Can the floor function be integrated using traditional integration techniques?

Yes, the floor function can be integrated using traditional integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. However, it can be a bit more complicated due to the piecewise nature of the function.

Are there any special considerations when integrating a floor function?

Yes, when integrating a floor function, it is important to pay attention to the intervals where the function changes. These intervals will affect the limits of integration and may require breaking the integral into multiple sections.