Can the Hubble telescope measure the diameter of Betelgeuse?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the Hubble telescope to measure the diameter of the star Betelgeuse, which is 427 lightyears from Earth and has a diameter 800 times that of the sun. The Rayleigh Criterion of 58 nRad is used to determine the angular resolution of the telescope, and it is important to ensure that the angular diameter of Betelgeuse is not smaller than the telescope's resolution in order to accurately measure its diameter. This is because, if the star is too small for the telescope's resolution, it will appear as a point source and cannot be distinguished from other objects.
Decimal

Homework Statement

The star Betelgeuse is 427 lightyears from earth. Betelgeuse has a diameter 800 times that of the sun, where the diameter of the sun equals ##1.39*10^6 km##. Given that Betelgeuse has an angular resolution given by the Rayleigh Criterion of 58 nRad, is it possible for the Hubble telescope to measure the diameter of Betelgeuse?

Homework Equations

Equation for angular resolution $$ \Delta\theta = \frac {1.22 \lambda} {D}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am supposed to check whether the angular diameter of Betelgeuse is not less than the angular resolution of the telescope. However I don't really understand the theory behind this. I thought angular resolution had to do with the ability of the telescope to distinguish two objects with a certain angular separation. In this case there is only one object, so what am I trying to distinguish? What would I see through the telescope if the angular diameter is too small?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decimal said:
I thought angular resolution had to do with the ability of the telescope to distinguish two objects with a certain angular separation. In this case there is only one object, so what am I trying to distinguish?
You want to measure the diameter, hence distinguish between the left side and the right side of the star.

Likes Decimal
Okay, I understand. So if you were to look at a star that's too small for the angular resolution of the telescope, would it just be blurry and out of focus? Because you can't distinguish the two sides?

Decimal said:
would it just be blurry and out of focus
It would be in focus, but indistinguishable from the image from a point source.

Likes Decimal
BvU said:
It would be in focus, but indistinguishable from the image from a point source.

Ah of course, I see now. Thanks a lot!

1. How does the Hubble telescope measure the diameter of Betelgeuse?

The Hubble telescope uses a technique called interferometry to measure the diameter of Betelgeuse. This involves combining the light from multiple telescopes to create a larger "virtual" telescope with a higher resolution.

2. What is the estimated diameter of Betelgeuse according to the Hubble telescope?

The Hubble telescope has estimated the diameter of Betelgeuse to be approximately 1.2 billion kilometers, or 700 million miles. This is about 600 times larger than the diameter of our own Sun.

3. Can the Hubble telescope measure the diameter of Betelgeuse accurately?

Yes, the Hubble telescope is capable of measuring the diameter of Betelgeuse with a high level of accuracy. Its advanced technology and precise measurements allow for a margin of error of only a few percent.

4. Has the Hubble telescope measured the diameter of Betelgeuse more than once?

Yes, the Hubble telescope has measured the diameter of Betelgeuse multiple times since its launch in 1990. This has allowed scientists to track any changes in the size of the star over time.

5. How does knowing the diameter of Betelgeuse help scientists understand the star?

By knowing the diameter of Betelgeuse, scientists can better understand its mass, temperature, and other properties. This information can help them determine the stage of its life cycle and provide insights into the evolution of stars.