Can the nucleus of an atom have an overall “neutral charge”

In summary, the nucleus of an atom cannot have an overall "neutral charge" if there happens to be more neutrons in the nucleus than protons. This is due to the fact that neutrons do not have electric charge and a nucleus consists out of both neutrons and protons, so the nucleus has a positive net electric charge.
GOD ENTITY
Can the nucleus of an atom have an overall “neutral charge” if there happens to be more neutrons in the nucleus than protons?

Physics news on Phys.org
GOD ENTITY said:
Can the nucleus of an atom have an overall “neutral charge” if there happens to be more neutrons in the nucleus than protons?

Neutrons do not have electric charge and a nucleus consists out of both neutrons and protons, so the answer to your question is a simple NO

marlon

CAn i actually have someone answer the question who knows what they are talking about :)

Maybe if you tell us what you mean by "overall neutral charge" someone can give you an answer. Marlon and I interpret it to mean "zero net electric charge." All nuclei contain protons, so they all have a positive net electric charge.

well I can make one for you, all you have to do is make a choice ...and i 'll let you know the ingredients:

so 1. Nucleus with absolute zero charge...or
2. Nucleus with relative zero charge
There you go Sir, now how may i help you

what i mean is even though the neutron inside the nuclues of an atom is said to have no charge, it is still energy nontheless. Its not like it doesn't have any affect on the environment. so considering that it is still a energy just a like proton i am defining that energy that it gives off as "neutral." so if there are more neutrons in the nucleus of an atom does it have a more "neutral charge" than positive. I know current science says the only charge the nuclues can have is positive but that seems inconsistent because it makes it seem as if there is no difference between a nucleus with more protons than nuetrons and vice versa. Thats basically my jist.

GOD ENTITY said:
what i mean is even though the neutron inside the nuclues of an atom is said to have no charge, it is still energy nontheless. Its not like it doesn't have any affect on the environment.

What do you mean by "effect on the environment"
Could you clarify this, please ?

so considering that it is still a energy just a like proton i am defining that energy that it gives off as "neutral."

But, you cannot do this since "neutral" applies to charge which is an intrinsic property of particles , of a totally different nature. This is just like
defining to number 25 "as being red" .

but that seems inconsistent because it makes it seem as if there is no difference between a nucleus with more protons than nuetrons and vice versa. Thats basically my jist.
A nucleus with 10 protons and 5 neutrons will interact in the same way, with an electron for example, as a nucleus with 10 protons and 10 neutrons, when you consider the EM-interaction. Only the amount of charge being present determines the strength of the EM-interaction. in QED, electric charge is the coupling constant of this interaction, so...WHAT IS YOUR POINT ?

Clearly, you are confusing semantics here and misusing vocabularium.

marlon

Splendid containment marlon! I congratulate you!

ok thanks marlon maybe its just my lack of understanding concering this subject but i don't understand how a nucleus with more neutrons than protons or more protons than neutrons or an equal number of each can still interact with an electron the exact same way. can u explain this? as far as i know the charge of an atom depends on the amount of protons, electrons, and neutrons within the nucleas on an atom so how can neutrons not have an effect on the EM interaction. if that's true that's means that neutrons have no purpose which doesn't make sense to me.

Related to Can the nucleus of an atom have an overall “neutral charge”

1. Is the overall charge of an atom's nucleus always positive?

Yes, the overall charge of an atom's nucleus is always positive. This is because the nucleus contains positively charged protons and neutral (or nearly neutral) neutrons, but no negatively charged particles.

2. Can the nucleus of an atom have a negative charge?

No, the nucleus of an atom cannot have a negative charge. As mentioned before, the nucleus only contains positively charged protons and neutral or nearly neutral neutrons.

3. How can the nucleus of an atom have a neutral charge?

The nucleus of an atom can have a neutral charge in two ways. First, if the number of protons and neutrons are equal, the positive and negative charges will cancel out, resulting in an overall neutral charge. Second, if the number of protons and neutrons are not equal, but the overall charge of the atom is neutral, it means that there are equal amounts of positive and negative charges outside of the nucleus, balancing out the positive charge of the nucleus.

4. Can the overall charge of an atom's nucleus change?

Yes, the overall charge of an atom's nucleus can change. This can happen through nuclear reactions, where particles are added or removed from the nucleus, changing its overall charge.

5. Why is the charge of an atom's nucleus important?

The charge of an atom's nucleus is important because it determines the chemical properties of an element. The number of protons in the nucleus (also known as the atomic number) determines the element's identity, while the overall charge of the nucleus and the number of electrons determine the element's reactivity and ability to form chemical bonds.