Can the summation formula be proven by counting a set in two ways?

In summary: Ok, I think I get it. When they ask to count two different ways, I assume I am suppose to count one way on side and another way on the other and if I get the same result then they are...equal?In summary, the conversation was about proving the summation formula by counting a set in two ways, using binomial coefficients instead of fractions. The conversation also included a discussion on how to preview the equations before posting them and provided a hint for solving the problem. The final solution involved considering the expression (1+1)^{n-1} and calculating it in two different ways, one directly and one using the binomial formula. Overall, the conversation was focused on understanding and solving the given problem
Robb
Mod note: Fixed numerous problems with LaTeX
Also, the fractions shown throughout should instead be binomial coefficients

1. Homework Statement

prove the summation formula by counting a set in two ways

$$\sum_{k=0}^n k\left( \frac n k \right) = n *2^{n-1}$$

Homework Equations

LHS = ##k \left(\frac n k \right) = k \left (\frac n 0 \right) + k \left( \frac n 1 \right) + k \left( \frac n 2 \right) + ...+ k \left(\frac n n \right) = k * 2^{n}##

RHS = ##n \left (\frac n k \right) * 2^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Part two is just some analysis on my part. I'm not sure how to choose a set to count. A hint from the back of the book says to split the RHS into subsets corresponding to the term on the left. First attempt at latex so hope its not too confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please make sure your LaTeX is correct by using the preview button.

Orodruin said:
Please make sure your LaTeX is correct by using the preview button.

Is there a way to see how the actual equations will show once posted? The preview just shows the LateX string.

Robb said:
First attempt at latex so hope its not too confusing.
I've fixed it, but there were many errors.
Robb said:
Is there a way to see how the actual equations will show once posted? The preview just shows the LateX string.
This means that your LaTeX is not well-formed. If it's not right, keep revising it until it shows up as you intend in the Preview.

Here are some of the things that were wrong:
LaTeX expressions need to start and end with either ## pairs (inline LaTeX) or $$ pairs (standalone)
frac needs to be preceded by \, as in \frac. Most or all of yours were missing the slash.
The left and right commands can't have spaces between \ and left or right, and there can't be a space between left or right and the enclosing symbol. IOW, do this \left(, not this: \ left (.

There's a link to our tutorial at the lower left corner of the input pane.

Mark44 said:
I've fixed it, but there were many errors.
This means that your LaTeX is not well-formed. If it's not right, keep revising it until it shows up as you intend in the Preview.

Here are some of the things that were wrong:
LaTeX expressions need to start and end with either ## pairs (inline LaTeX) or $$ pairs (standalone)
frac needs to be preceded by \, as in \frac. Most or all of yours were missing the slash.
The left and right commands can't have spaces between \ and left or right, and there can't be a space between left or right and the enclosing symbol. IOW, do this \left(, not this: \ left (.

There's a link to our tutorial at the lower left corner of the input pane.

Much obliged!

Also, the equation you're working with is wrong, I believe, and you mistakenly have fractions throughout your work.
Robb said:
$$\sum_{k=0}^n k\left( \frac n k \right) = n *2^{n-1}$$
In the summation, you should have binomial coefficients, not fractions.
##\binom n k##, not ##\frac n k##

The command I used is \binom

Mark44 said:
Also, the equation you're working with is wrong, I believe, and you mistakenly have fractions throughout your work.

In the summation, you should have binomial coefficients, not fractions.
##\binom n k##, not ##\frac n k##

The command I used is \binom

OK. That was my intent (obviously). Is there a way to preview so that I can see what the output would look like once it posts? Then I will know I messed up before I send it to the whole world.

Robb said:
OK. That was my intent (obviously). Is there a way to preview so that I can see what the output would look like once it posts? Then I will know I messed up before I send it to the whole world.
Yes, use the PREVIEW button.

Mark44 said:
Yes, use the PREVIEW button.

It only shows me the LateX not how it would appear once posted.

Robb said:
It only shows me the LateX not how it would appear once posted.
Scroll up or down (I don't remember which) to see how it actually renders.

Robb said:

Instead of "\binom" you can also get ##{n \choose m}## by typing {n \choose m}.

Likes Robb
Robb said:
If you do it correctly it shows up. If it does not there are errors in parsing your equations.

Likes Robb
Robb said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Part two is just some analysis on my part. I'm not sure how to choose a set to count. A hint from the back of the book says to split the RHS into subsets corresponding to the term on the left.

Did you make any progress on this? As a hint, I'd suggest considering ##(1+1)^{n-1}##.

StoneTemplePython said:
Did you make any progress on this? As a hint, I'd suggest considering ##(1+1)^{n-1}##.

I guess I'm not sure what this does for me.

Robb said:
I guess I'm not sure what this does for me.

ok, I'll nudge you a bit more:
consider ##(1+1)^{n-1}## and calculate it two different ways... one, directly ##=(2)^{n-1}##, which seems a lot like your right hand side. Apply the binomial formula for the other way of calculating... what does that look like?

StoneTemplePython said:
ok, I'll nudge you a bit more:
consider ##(1+1)^{n-1}## and calculate it two different ways... one, directly ##=(2)^{n-1}##, which seems a lot like your right hand side. Apply the binomial formula for the other way of calculating... what does that look like?

Ok, I think I get it. When they ask to count two different ways, I assume I am suppose to count one way on side and another way on the other and if I get the same result then they are equivalent?

Robb said:
Ok, I think I get it. When they ask to count two different ways, I assume I am suppose to count one way on side and another way on the other and if I get the same result then they are equivalent?

Basically -- it kind of depends on how you think about it. In this case I think it's a little stronger:

You know that ##(1+1)^{n-1} = (1+1)^{n-1}##
and you compute / expand / show it 2 different legal ways (for this problem: one is by making use of parenthesis and addition, the other is the binomial formula) but you know those two different forms are equivalent precisely because ##(1+1)^{n-1} = (1+1)^{n-1}##

StoneTemplePython said:
Basically -- it kind of depends on how you think about it. In this case I think it's a little stronger:

You know that ##(1+1)^{n-1} = (1+1)^{n-1}##
and you compute / expand / show it 2 different legal ways (for this problem: one is by making use of parenthesis and addition, the other is the binomial formula) but you know those two different forms are equivalent precisely because ##(1+1)^{n-1} = (1+1)^{n-1}##

Awesome! Thanks so much!

1. What is counting a set in two ways?

Counting a set in two ways is a counting principle in mathematics that involves finding the number of elements in a set by counting them in two different ways. This helps to ensure accuracy and can also provide a deeper understanding of the problem at hand.

2. Why is counting a set in two ways important?

Counting a set in two ways is important because it helps to verify the accuracy of the count and can also provide a different perspective on the problem. It can also be useful in more complex counting problems where one method may be easier than the other.

3. What are the two ways of counting a set?

The two ways of counting a set are the direct counting method and the indirect counting method. The direct counting method involves physically counting each element in the set, while the indirect counting method involves using a formula or mathematical equation to determine the number of elements in the set.

4. When should I use the direct counting method?

The direct counting method should be used when the set is small and easily countable. This method is also useful when the elements in the set are distinct and can be easily identified.

5. When should I use the indirect counting method?

The indirect counting method should be used when the set is large and counting each element individually would be time-consuming. It is also useful when the elements in the set are not distinct and cannot be easily counted. In such cases, a formula or mathematical equation can provide a more efficient way of determining the number of elements in the set.