Can the Transverse Nature of a Wave from an Electron Gun be Observed?

In summary, an electron has corpuscular-wave dualism, and behaves both like a wave and like a particle.
Martyn Arthur
TL;DR Summary
How do we know that a wave fired from an electron gun is transverse in transit?
Hi.
What equipment /mechanism / experimental procedure is used to determine that the nature of a wave fired from an electron gun is transverse in transit?
Thanks
Martyn

Physics news on Phys.org
If a wave propagates through vacuum, is it transverse or longitudinal?

Will your electron propagate through a vacuum?

Martyn Arthur said:
TL;DR Summary: How do we know that a wave fired from an electron gun is transverse in transit?

Hi.
What equipment /mechanism / experimental procedure is used to determine that the nature of a wave fired from an electron gun is transverse in transit?
Thanks
Martyn
An electron is a quantum particle. It's not a classical wave, and neither transverse nor longitudinal.

PeroK said:
An electron is a quantum particle. It's not a classical wave, and neither transverse nor longitufinal
But a photon is also a quantum particle, not a classical wave, and is only longitudinal.

That said, I don't understand what the OP means and I suspect he doesn't either. If he can express this thought in terms of observables, it might be discussable, but as it is it's words words words. Like "a weath of pretty little flowers which smell bad."

Vanadium 50 said:
But a photon is also a quantum particle, not a classical wave, and is only longitudinal.
Did you mean to say "is only transverse"?

Likes gentzen
Either. Depends on if you are talking spin or electric field direction. Which emphasizes the OPs confusion the description of a thing is not the same as the thing.

Martyn Arthur said:
the nature of a wave fired from an electron gun is transverse in transit
Where did you read this? Can you give us a link or reference so we can see where you're "coming from" on this?

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Either. Depends on if you are talking spin or electric field direction.
That's a good point, I was thinking only classically. Massless photons or gravitons do indeed always have longitudinal spin with transverse polarization. For massive electrons it seems polarization must refer to spin-up or spin-down with respect to some external magnetic field B. A e-beam is then "polarized" to the extent it consists of unequal numbers of electrons with up vs. down spins. If the B-field happens to be perpendicular to the beam propagation direction, might this then constitute "transverse electron polarization"?

PeroK said:
An electron is a quantum particle. It's not a classical wave, and neither transverse nor longitudinal.
Of course you can have polarized electrons, i.e., electrons with their spin in a given direction.

Vanadium 50 said:
Either. Depends on if you are talking spin or electric field direction. Which emphasizes the OPs confusion the description of a thing is not the same as the thing.
A photon can only be "transverse". A photon as a massless spin-1 particle, has only two polarization-degrees of freedom. The natural choice is helicity, i.e., the projection of total angular momentum to the direction of the momentum, and the helicity can only take the values ##\pm 1##. That's a subtlety of massless particles with spin. It has always only two helicity states ##\pm s## (with ##s \in \{1/2,1,3/2,\ldots \}##).

Likes Hyperfine
vanhees71 said:
A photon can only be "transverse".
A photon's electric field can only be "transverse". A photon's spin can only be "longitudunal."

(Convention is to talk about fields, trhough). What I tried to bring up, and obviously failed to do well, is that this is a description that depends on definition. You tell me the definition you use, and I'll tell you what names the physics requires.

When making a physical prediction, of course we get the same answer no matter which words we use. This is why I think the OP's question "which words do we use?" is ill=posed.

Define what you mean by spin then. It's not possible to split the total angular momentum into spin and orbit parts in a gauge-invariant way!

Likes LittleSchwinger
As I recall, the electron has corpuscular-wave dualism! It behaves both like a wave and like a particle! There are many interesting things in the world))) So many discoveries are yet to come)))

BillyDoster said:
As I recall, the electron has corpuscular-wave dualism! It behaves both like a wave and like a particle! There are many interesting things in the world))) So many discoveries are yet to come)))
QM explained that one!

1. What is the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun?

The transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun refers to the direction of oscillation of the wave, which is perpendicular to the direction of propagation. In other words, the wave moves up and down or side to side, rather than in a straight line.

2. How is the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun observed?

The transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun can be observed through a phenomenon called diffraction. When the electron beam passes through a narrow slit, it spreads out and creates a diffraction pattern on a screen. This pattern is evidence of the transverse nature of the wave.

3. Why is it important to observe the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun?

Observing the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of electrons and their behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and electronics.

4. Can the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun be observed in all materials?

No, the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun can only be observed in materials that are able to conduct electricity, such as metals. This is because the electrons in these materials are able to move freely and exhibit wave-like behavior.

5. How does the transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun differ from the longitudinal nature of a sound wave?

The transverse nature of a wave from an electron gun differs from the longitudinal nature of a sound wave in the direction of oscillation. While the transverse wave moves perpendicular to the direction of propagation, the longitudinal wave moves parallel to the direction of propagation.