What is the nature of de Broglie matter wave? Is it longitudian or transverse?

In summary: But I could be wrong.In summary, the conversation discusses the wave nature of electrons, specifically in the Davisson and Germer experiment where it was proven that electrons have a wavelength and can exhibit wave-like behavior when provided with a certain energy. The conversation also delves into the concept of quantum mechanics and how it explains the behavior of electrons as excitations of an underlying field. The idea of "wave-particle duality" is mentioned, along with various interpretations of quantum mechanics. The conversation also touches on the confusion surrounding the term "particle" when referring to fundamental particles.
nohtha
TL;DR Summary
for davisson and germer experiment(proof of wave nature of electron) the electron have wavelength of 1.66 angstrom approximate.Corresponding to this wavelength the electron have energy of 2.5 Kev approximate.Is this possible?The electron actual as a wave or it behave as a wave in special case only. In reality what is electron ? in same way for radiation also ,the radiation also behave as particle under certain condition only?
I just want to elaborate the wave nature of electron from davisson and germer experiment . there is resonance of energy (54 ev)provide to electron for which it show wave like behavior's.
give some better explanation for this.

Physics news on Phys.org
nohtha said:
For an explanation of the behaviour of an electron, try quantum mechanics.

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier, Lord Jestocost and 1 other person
nohtha said:

I guess you could ask one of your graduate school Physics students to explain it to you... :wink:
nohtha said:
I am a Physics professor for graduate level students

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Vanadium 50, pinball1970, vanhees71 and 2 others
nohtha said:
I just want to elaborate the wave nature of electron from davisson and germer experiment . there is resonance of energy (54 ev)provide to electron for which it show wave like behavior's.
Give a better explanation than what? The standard explanation using quantum mechanics (more accurately Quantum Field Theory)? Standard quantum physics gives us an extremely good explanation, so good that we can find virtually no discrepancies between experiments and theoretical predictions. There are no better explanations.

nohtha said:
for davisson and germer experiment(proof of wave nature of electron) the electron have wavelength of 1.66 angstrom approximate.Corresponding to this wavelength the electron have energy of 2.5 Kev approximate.Is this possible?The electron actual as a wave or it behave as a wave in special case only. In reality what is electron ? in same way for radiation also ,the radiation also behave as particle under certain condition only?
Our best explanation is that electrons are excitations of an underlying field called the Electron Field. In fact, all matter is such, with each type of particle being an excitation of an underlying field. Even light is an excitation of an underlying field, the electromagnetic field.

So it's not that an electron is sometimes a wave and sometimes a particle, or that it is both a particle and a wave, but that the very idea of what a fundamental particle is requires a new definition. Fundamental particles are not tiny little balls. They also aren't waves. They are an entirely new type of 'thing' that requires an understanding of quantum physics to understand properly. Hence why everyone is so confused when first hearing about them.

Likes vanhees71
Likes vanhees71 and gentzen
:welcome:
I am a Physics professor for graduate level students
Sounds to me like you are a physics teacher in high school in some Spanish speaking country.

Demystifier said:
Or perhaps you are just confused by the so called "wave-particle duality"? Perhaps
https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0609163 Sec. 2 can help.
That reply could be quite helpful for you, at least if your English (and your QM background) is good enough to enjoy reading that section 2.

If you tell us your first language, then maybe we could try to better adjust our responses to you.

Likes vanhees71 and Demystifier
gentzen said:
... Spanish speaking country.

... at least if your English ... is good enough ...

If you tell us your first language, ...
I'm curious, why do you think that his first language is Spanish? In any case, his English looks good enough to me, to read any physics text.

Likes vanhees71
Demystifier said:
I'm curious, why do you think that his first language is Spanish? In any case, his English looks good enough to me, to read any physics text.
If you look at the reactions, it looks to me like his overall communication caused confusion. Spanish is sufficiently similar to English that you don't realize immediately that somebody has serious trouble with it.

gentzen said:
Spanish is sufficiently similar to English ...
In the title of the thread he wrote "longitudian", which of course should be longitudinal in English. But according to google translate, the Spanish word is also "longitudinal". So whatever his native language is, I'd bet it's not Spanish.

1. What is the de Broglie matter wave?

The de Broglie matter wave, also known as the matter wave or de Broglie wave, is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It was first proposed by French physicist Louis de Broglie in 1924.

2. Is the de Broglie matter wave longitudinal or transverse?

The de Broglie matter wave is neither longitudinal nor transverse. It is a unique type of wave called a matter wave, which is a wave associated with the motion of a particle. Unlike electromagnetic waves, which are transverse, matter waves are not associated with any particular direction of oscillation.

3. How does the de Broglie matter wave relate to the wave-particle duality?

The de Broglie matter wave is a key concept in the wave-particle duality of quantum mechanics. It suggests that particles, such as electrons, have both wave-like and particle-like properties. This means that they can exhibit behaviors of both waves and particles, depending on the experimental setup.

4. Can the de Broglie matter wave be observed?

No, the de Broglie matter wave cannot be directly observed. It is a mathematical concept that helps explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level. However, its effects can be observed through experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrate the wave-like behavior of particles.

5. How does the de Broglie matter wave affect our understanding of the physical world?

The de Broglie matter wave has fundamentally changed our understanding of the physical world. It has led to the development of quantum mechanics, which is the most successful and accurate theory we have for describing the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It has also opened up new possibilities for technological advancements, such as quantum computing and cryptography.