Can there be causality when there is spacelike separation?

In summary: I suggest you adopt the verbiage "locality" which is stricter term than causality. The corollaries to the postulate of relativity (aka the "special" theory of relativity) only stipulates that it is not possible to accelerate from under to above the speed of light in a finite time. Similarly, anything already going faster than c (aka a Tachyon) is allowed but must stay faster than c.I haven't heard the term "locality" before, but I'll look into it.
entropy1
If two events A and B are spacelike separated, is it then true that there can be no causal relationship between the two?

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
If two events A and B are spacelike separated, is it then true that there can be no causal relationship between the two?
Isn't this the definition?

martinbn said:
I didn't succeed in even finding a definition on Wikipedia.

I'd suggest using a more reliable source than Wikipedia for learning relativity. I like Taylor and Wheeler, and others here recommend Morin. The first chapters of both are available online if you want to have a look.

The point about spacelike separation is that ##\Delta s^2=c^2\Delta t^2-\Delta x^2-\Delta y^2-\Delta z^2<0##. That means that ##c^2\Delta t^2<\Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+\Delta z^2##, which means that not even something traveling at the speed of light can get from one event to the other. Thus neither one can cause the other.

Likes cianfa72 and sysprog
entropy1 said:
Yes. Whether “no causal relationship” is the definition of “spacelike separated” or the other way around is mostly a matter of taste, as either one implies the other.

Likes atyy and sysprog
I suggest you adopt the verbiage "locality" which is stricter term than causality. The corollaries to the postulate of relativity (aka the "special" theory of relativity) only stipulates that it is not possible to accelerate from under to above the speed of light in a finite time. Similarly, anything already going faster than c (aka a Tachyon) is allowed but must stay faster than c.

Since experiment has so far confirmed that some information must travel (at most) at the speed of light, (or better, speed of information c) for interaction to occur, all observed phenomena in classical physics are presumed to conform to locality. There is no fundamental requirement on causality (or locality) other than what is seen in observation.

Seemingly-semi-classical violation of causality do exist for example in pre-acceleration of electrons.In fact it is possible to show (in a very general way) that a certain form of uncertainty kind-of-like we see in quantum mechanics arises when considering communication faster than c over space-like distances. This too violates causality but not locality (this time on the upside of c!).

Look for the book by Andrzej Dragan and his extremely cool youtube videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
martinbn said:
I don't think it's quite that simple. See below.

Ibix said:
not even something traveling at the speed of light can get from one event to the other. Thus neither one can cause the other.
I think it's worth expanding on this a bit.

Strictly speaking, the concept that has a simple definition in relativity is "spacelike separated"; the definition is the one @Ibix gave (or its appropriate generalization in GR when spacetime is curved). We then observe that the time ordering of spacelike separated events is frame-dependent in relativity, and we therefore infer that, since "causal connection" is a directed relationship--the cause must come before the effect--spacelike separated events cannot be causally connected.

Nugatory said:
Whether “no causal relationship” is the definition of “spacelike separated” or the other way around is mostly a matter of taste, as either one implies the other.
I don't think this is true. While the implication from "spacelike separated" to "not causally connected" is straightforward, as given above, the reverse implication is not, since if all you know is that two events aren't causally connected, that in itself tells you nothing about the type of spacetime interval between them. You have to already know what "spacelike separated" means in order to make the connection from "not causally connected" to "spacelike separated".

Likes vanhees71

1. What is causality?

Causality is the relationship between cause and effect, where the cause is the reason for the effect to occur. It is a fundamental concept in science and philosophy that allows us to understand and explain the natural world.

2. What is spacelike separation?

Spacelike separation is a term used in physics to describe the distance between two events that are too far apart for any information or influence to travel between them at or below the speed of light. In other words, these events are not causally connected.

3. Can there be causality when two events are spacelike separated?

No, according to the theory of relativity, causality requires a cause to precede its effect in time. When two events are spacelike separated, there is no way for one event to influence the other, so causality cannot exist between them.

4. How does the concept of causality relate to spacelike separation?

Causality and spacelike separation are closely related because causality requires a cause to precede its effect in time, while spacelike separation means there is no way for one event to influence the other. Therefore, if two events are spacelike separated, causality cannot exist between them.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that causality cannot exist when there is spacelike separation?

No, according to the theory of relativity, there are no exceptions to this rule. Spacelike separation is a fundamental aspect of the universe, and causality cannot exist between events that are too far apart for any influence to travel between them.