Can twin cats have mirror image fur colors?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether monozygotic twin cats can have mirror image fur colors and the likelihood of this occurrence based on observations of twin cats and developmental controls for color formation. It is noted that while mirror imaging of fur colors is not impossible, it is not a tightly controlled pattern and the differences in patterns on the left and right side suggest a degree of sloppiness in developmental controls for color formation.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible for monozygotic twin cats to have fur colors that are mirror images of each other?
Is it possible for monozygotic twin cats to have fur colors that are mirror images of each other? Or does such mirror imaging rule out that two cats are monozygotic twins? In searching for images of "twin cats" on the web, I find a few photos of pairs that have mirror image fur colors. For example:

So I gather that mirror imaging of fur colors isn't impossibly rare. ( And I see, first hand, two kittens in my backyard that have mirror image fur.)

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't think that blotchy color patterns are all that well determined.

Blob-like patterns in Koi fish are not transmitted as a predetermined pattern.
The migration and some determinative developmental steps the pigment precursor cells go through leave a lot of statistical interactions involving small numbers of cells. So they can vary a lot.

Would there be symmetrical influences on how these interactions took place? Maybe.
Would they exactly replicate and pattern, but left-right flipped? Less likely.

On the cats: the white and brown pigment cells come from neural crest cells that migrate from the top of the neural tube.
A tightly controlled pattern of color formation mechanisms would make a symmetrical pattern. That is clearly not happening with these guys.
The differences in the pattern right vs. left side indicate the degree of sloppiness in these developmental controls.

1. Can twin cats have completely opposite fur colors?

Yes, it is possible for twin cats to have completely opposite fur colors. This is known as mirror image coloring, where one cat has predominantly dark fur while the other has predominantly light fur.

2. Is mirror image coloring common in twin cats?

No, mirror image coloring is not very common in twin cats. It is estimated that only about 1% of twin cats exhibit this phenomenon.

3. Are mirror image twin cats genetically identical?

Yes, mirror image twin cats are genetically identical. This means that they have the same DNA and were formed from the same fertilized egg that split into two embryos.

4. Can mirror image coloring also occur in non-twin cats?

Yes, mirror image coloring can occur in non-twin cats as well. This can happen if a fertilized egg splits during early development, resulting in two cats with opposite color patterns.

5. Is mirror image coloring only seen in cats?

No, mirror image coloring can also occur in other animals such as dogs, horses, and even humans. It is a rare occurrence but has been documented in various species.