Can two photons cancel each other?

• I
  • Thread starter QuasarBoy543298
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: EM energy chunk traveling through space) can't truly cancel each other.then, what really happens if 2 identical (up to -1 phase) photons travel next to each other.if photons can be treated as some sort of EM wave mode, or even if we can just associate a phase to a photon, what stops them from canceling each other?
QuasarBoy543298
in classic electromagnetism, two plane waves with the same frequency and -1 phase difference can cancel each other.
due to conservation of energy, I assume that photons (that so far we have treated as sort of EM energy chunk traveling through space) can't truly cancel each other.
then, what really happens if 2 identical (up to -1 phase) photons travel next to each other.
if photons can be treated as some sort of EM wave mode, or even if we can just associate a phase to a photon, what stops them from canceling each other?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
saar321412 said:
if 2 identical (up to -1 phase) photons
What exactly do you mean by identical photons up to -1 phase? How would you make two such photons?

And in what sense they "travel next to each other"? I think it's a little bit problematic, since there is no position operator for photons :cat:

Likes Dale
but there are localized photons
weirdoguy said:
And in what sense they "travel next to each other"? I think it's a little bit problematic, since there is no position operator for photons :cat:
but we can have localized modes, no? After all sometimes we talk about photons coming and doing something (like in the photoelectric effect for example... )

What kind of QM is this?

The question assumes the photons are simultaneously in an eigenstate of position, momentum/energy, number and phase. Nope.

And didn't we go over all this in this thread?

Likes PeroK, Dale and weirdoguy
saar321412 said:
After all sometimes we talk about photons coming and doing something (like in the photoelectric effect for example... )
The interaction with the device is localized to the device. The interaction is not the photon.

Likes vanhees71
saar321412 said:
due to conservation of energy, I assume that photons (that so far we have treated as sort of EM energy chunk traveling through space) can't truly cancel each other.

The same argument would apply to two classical EM waves: each one carries energy, so they can't cancel each other.

I think you need to rethink your understanding of classical EM as well as quantum EM.

Likes Dale
saar321412 said:
in classic electromagnetism, two plane waves with the same frequency and -1 phase difference can cancel each other.
No, I don't think so. In classical EM homework problems you may see this, but not in the real world. How would you make two waves that have destructive interference EVERYWHERE. How is that different than nothing? How do you "make" nothing?

BTW, you left out direction and amplitude. Plane waves have those too.

Also, while we all know what you mean, "-1 phase difference" is a confusing way to describe this. In simple waves we have f(t) = A⋅sin(ωt + Φ). The phase is Φ, with values of [0,2π) radians (some like [0, 360) degrees). The amplitude is A. You could represent the "out of phase" condition with Φ1 = 0 and Φ2 = π, or with A1 = A and A2 = -1⋅A. But mixing the words phase and giving amplitude values isn't the best way to communicate this concept.

Likes vela and Dale
DaveE said:
How would you make two waves that have destructive interference EVERYWHERE.
To expand on this, the only way to make them cancel everywhere is to produce the two waves at the same source, say an antenna.

You can indeed feed a single antenna with two amplifiers that are out of phase. Then there is no current in the antenna and no wave is produced or equivalently two completely interfering waves are produced.

So where did the energy go? Into the other amplifier. Generally this is not good for an amplifier.

saar321412 said:
then, what really happens if 2 identical (up to -1 phase) photons travel next to each other.
if photons can be treated as some sort of EM wave mode, or even if we can just associate a phase to a photon, what stops them from canceling each other?

Individual photons don't have a phase in the way you're thinking. Instead, in a two photon system, each possible way of arranging the two photons has a phase (an amplitude to be more specific). If you line two photons up on top of each other, there's amplitude in the state "two photons here" and no amplitude anywhere else.

You'd need an "anti photon" in order to cancel the photon out instead of just stacking on top of it. Although, even if such a thing existed, the cancelling out would have to be more of a transformation into some other form since otherwise energy wouldn't be conserved or (even worse) reversibility would be lost.

saar321412 said:
See https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...conservation-of-momentum.880286/#post-6420786

A two-photon state is a two-photon state and not the vacuum, i.e., if you superimpose two-photon states you cannot get the vacuum. One should keep in mind that photons are (asymptotic) free Fock states of the em. field.

What of course is possible is the inverse process to pair annihilation, i.e., ##\gamma+\gamma \rightarrow \mathrm{e}^+ + \mathrm{e}^-##.

Likes Dale

1. Can two photons cancel each other out?

Yes, two photons can cancel each other out through a process called destructive interference. This occurs when two photons with the same frequency and opposite phases meet and their electric fields cancel each other out, resulting in no net energy.

2. What is the significance of two photons cancelling each other?

The cancellation of two photons is significant because it demonstrates the wave-like nature of light and the concept of interference. It also has practical applications in technologies such as quantum computing and optical communication.

3. Is it possible for two photons to cancel each other in a vacuum?

Yes, two photons can cancel each other out in a vacuum as long as they have the same frequency and opposite phases. The lack of matter in a vacuum does not affect the process of interference.

4. Can two photons with different frequencies cancel each other?

No, two photons with different frequencies cannot cancel each other out. In order for interference to occur, the photons must have the same frequency and opposite phases. If the frequencies are different, the photons will not be able to align and cancel each other.

5. How does the cancellation of two photons affect the energy of the system?

The cancellation of two photons results in no net energy in the system. This means that the energy of the two photons is effectively "lost" or transferred to another form, such as heat. This is why destructive interference is often used in technologies to reduce unwanted energy or noise.