Visible light reflection v.s X-Ray reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of photons from an atom when an electron transitions from a higher to a lower energy state. It is speculated that if the mass of protons and electrons were increased or if there were large differences in energy states, x-rays or photons with greater energy than visible light could be created. The concept of reflection is brought up, but it is noted that creating x-ray "mirrors" is difficult due to the formation of solid materials. It is also questioned if there could be elements that transmit visible light 100% due to having energy levels too high to absorb it. The conversation ends with a discussion on the absorption of x-rays and the use of spectroscopy.
cj20x2
I'm a bit new to studying physics so I hope this question doesn't sound off. I already know this

"Photons are emitted from an atom when an electron transitions from one state to a lower-energy state. The energy of the emitted photon equal to the difference in energy between the two states."

1. This makes me wonder, if you were somehow able to permanently increase the mass of Protons and Electrons enough(or have an atom with electrons that had huge state differences), would the energy difference in the lower and higher states of the electrons be able to create and reflect X-Rays or photons with greater energy than visible light?

2. If the size of protons and electrons were large enough would visible light pass through unaltered?

Physics news on Phys.org
cj20x2 said:
I'm a bit new to studying physics so I hope this question doesn't sound off. I already know this

"Photons are emitted from an atom when an electron transitions from one state to a lower-energy state. The energy of the emitted photon equal to the difference in energy between the two states."

1. This makes me wonder, if you were somehow able to permanently increase the mass of Protons and Electrons enough(or have an atom with electrons that had huge state differences), would the energy difference in the lower and higher states of the electrons be able to create and reflect X-Rays or photons with greater energy than visible light?

2. If the size of protons and electrons were large enough would visible light pass through unaltered?

I don't understand this at all. We can already emit x-ray from atomic transition. Many x-ray sources used in your doctor's office do this.

The problem of "reflection" is totally different than simply having atoms that have that kind of transition. x-ray "mirrors" is difficult to create not because atoms do not have such a transition. They do. Rather, "mirrors" are solid, bulk material. The phenomenon of "reflection" requires the formation of the solid and the kind of band structure and vibrational modes present in the solid.

Besides, why can't you simply have Bragg reflection of these x-rays?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I don't understand this at all. We can already emit x-ray from atomic transition. Many x-ray sources used in your doctor's office do this.

The problem of "reflection" is totally different than simply having atoms that have that kind of transition. x-ray "mirrors" is difficult to create not because atoms do not have such a transition. They do. Rather, "mirrors" are solid, bulk material. The phenomenon of "reflection" requires the formation of the solid and the kind of band structure and vibrational modes present in the solid.

Besides, why can't you simply have Bragg reflection of these x-rays?

Zz.

I guess the mystery that I'm wondering about is if elements could exist that transmit visible light 100% due to having an energy level too high to absorb it. Similar to the way radio waves move through walls.

cj20x2 said:
I guess the mystery that I'm wondering about is if elements could exist that transmit visible light 100% due to having an energy level too high to absorb it. Similar to the way radio waves move through walls.

Similar to radio waves move through walls? You are comparing apples to oranges.

"Walls" are solid objects (read my first post here). But you want it to behave like atomic energy levels as if they are isolated atoms.

I can block radio waves with simple metal walls. Yet, the metal atoms still have "energy level too high to absorb" the radio waves.

But you were originally talking about "reflection". It is even in the title of this thread. Yet, now, you're talking about transmission. This is not "reflection".

What now? This is going in all directions with no clear boundary.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Similar to radio waves move through walls? You are comparing apples to oranges.

"Walls" are solid objects (read my first post here). But you want it to behave like atomic energy levels as if they are isolated atoms.

I can block radio waves with simple metal walls. Yet, the metal atoms still have "energy level too high to absorb" the radio waves.

But you were originally talking about "reflection". It is even in the title of this thread. Yet, now, you're talking about transmission. This is not "reflection".

What now? This is going in all directions with no clear boundary.

Zz.

Sorry, I think i'll do some more research on my own. I'm finding this all very confusing.

cj20x2 said:
I'm finding this all very confusing.

Welcome to the club.

Zz.

The absorption of x-rays does increase a lot when you raise the photon energy above characteristic binding energies - so called absorption edges. This can be used for spectroscopy. You could say that for photon energies below the edge the material is more transparent than for photon energies above the edge.

The thing with x-rays is that the photon energies are in the range of hundreds or thousands of electron volts, and that all atoms have at least some electrons with much lower binding energy, in the eV or 10 eV range. These can always be excited by x-ray photons. Therefore no material is completely transparent for x-rays.

However, this concerns transmission, not reflection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_absorption_spectroscopy

1. How does visible light reflection differ from X-ray reflection?

Visible light and X-rays are both forms of electromagnetic radiation, but they have different wavelengths and energies. Visible light has longer wavelengths and lower energy, while X-rays have shorter wavelengths and higher energy. This difference in energy allows them to behave differently when they encounter a surface.

2. How do objects reflect visible light?

Objects reflect visible light when the light waves hit their surface and are absorbed and re-emitted in different directions. The color of an object is determined by which wavelengths of light are absorbed and which are reflected.

3. How do objects reflect X-rays?

Objects reflect X-rays through a process called Compton scattering. When X-rays hit an object, they can interact with the electrons in the atoms of the object's surface. This interaction causes the X-rays to scatter in different directions, similar to how visible light is reflected. The amount of scattering depends on the atomic structure of the object's surface.

4. Can objects reflect both visible light and X-rays?

Yes, objects can reflect both visible light and X-rays, but the amount and type of reflection will vary. Some objects may reflect visible light more strongly, while others may reflect X-rays more strongly. The ability to reflect X-rays is also dependent on the atomic structure of the object's surface.

5. Why is X-ray reflection important in scientific research?

X-ray reflection is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study the atomic and molecular structure of objects. X-rays have shorter wavelengths than visible light, which means they can interact with smaller structures, such as individual atoms. This allows scientists to study the composition and properties of materials and molecules in great detail, which is crucial for understanding various natural and man-made phenomena.