Can viruses be stored in a box without decaying?

• Thread starter SIQI
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of suspending a virus in a container without any external forces affecting it, and whether it would still function once reintroduced to a host. While there is no information available on this concept, the idea is compared to a lego piece and it is noted that a virus's environment is crucial for its function. It is suggested to use polyethylene gycol 300 or 400 as a storage medium for maintaining the virus's function. The conversation also includes a personal experience with storing viruses in test tubes with aqueous P.E.G. as a storage medium, resulting in successful reactivation upon release. The conversation concludes with a visual demonstration of a virus suspended in aqueous P.E.G. and the importance
SIQI
I see no reason why it can't be done, can't find any information on it in google. I think of a virus like a lego piece, it does what it does due to its shape and material. I couldn't find anything in regards to a virus's self decay.

If you shelve it in a container that isolates it away from EM waves so there is no other force outsides of gravity affecting its state of being, can it not function all the same once the container is reopened and the virus some how is introduced and bypasses the host's defenses?

Biology news on Phys.org
SIQI said:
I see no reason why it can't be done, can't find any information on it in google. I think of a virus like a lego piece, it does what it does due to its shape and material. I couldn't find anything in regards to a virus's self decay.

If you shelve it in a container that isolates it away from EM waves so there is no other force outsides of gravity affecting its state of being, can it not function all the same once the container is reopened and the virus some how is introduced and bypasses the host's defenses?
Whatcha' got in mind there, Scooter?

A virus is not a lego brick. For example, components of viruses exist in an aqueous environment and, like all proteins, depend on being surrounded by water in order to properly fold into the correct shape. If the virus dries out, its components will no longer function, and in many cases, this loss of function is irreversible. Existing in a watery environment also poses some challenges as water can chemically react with components of the virus, breaking them apart, though this would occur at a much slower rate than dehydration of the virus under normal conditions.

Likes russ_watters, jim mcnamara and Ryan_m_b
Yes, if you want to store a "Live" virus and want it not to decay, the best thing to suspend the virus in so it will not decay is polyethylene gycol 300 or 400 or P.E.G.. I have suspended many viruses in this liquid and 99% of the time they reactivate upon release from this substance despite that time passed even after freezing and thawing in aqueous P.E.G.. It is not about the forces of nature damaging them more about protein damage by other organisms or chemicals or lack of proper storage medium that make them nonfunctional. I have several stored in test tubes filled with viruses or Viral Vectors and this aqueous P.E.G., it isn't a box but close, a sealed test tube.

cas-no-25322-68-3-Poly-ethylene.jpg_350x350.jpg

Virus or Viral Vector Suspended in aqueous P.E.G.

JgUUpIw.png

If you want to see something even more interesting look at this, set of tubes.

The Left one is one not suspended in aqueous P.E.G. making "Viral plaques" on the inside of the tube, The middle one is aqueous P.E.G. the clear liquid storage medium, The Right a Virus or Viral Vector Suspended in aqueous P.E.G.

keYl83b.jpg

In any case, there is your answer from someone who has done this.

P.S. : Sorry, for the poor lighting.

Attachments

• cas-no-25322-68-3-Poly-ethylene.jpg_350x350.jpg
    cas-no-25322-68-3-Poly-ethylene.jpg_350x350.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 540
  • JgUUpIw.png
    JgUUpIw.png
    37.6 KB · Views: 416
  • keYl83b.jpg
    keYl83b.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Likes BillTre

1. How do you store viruses in a box?

Viruses can be stored in a variety of ways, such as in a freezer at -80°C or in a liquid nitrogen tank. It is important to use proper protective gear and follow safety protocols when handling and storing viruses.

2. Why are viruses stored in boxes?

Storing viruses in boxes helps to keep them organized and easily accessible for research and experimentation. It also helps to prevent cross-contamination between different viruses.

3. What type of boxes are used for storing viruses?

Specialized boxes, such as cryogenic vials, are typically used for storing viruses. These vials are designed to withstand extreme temperatures and protect the viruses from damage.

4. How long can viruses be stored in a box?

The length of time that viruses can be stored in a box depends on various factors, such as the type of virus and the storage conditions. Generally, viruses can be stored for several years if kept at the appropriate temperature and handled properly.

5. Are there any risks associated with storing viruses in a box?

There are some risks associated with storing viruses in a box, such as accidental exposure or release of the virus. It is important to follow safety protocols and properly label the boxes to minimize these risks.