Can we have some sub chat channels

• Thread starter Xsnac
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of using chat for technical discussions and the suggestion for sub chat channels to discuss physics problems. However, it is stated that the forums are the appropriate place for such discussions and that chat is primarily for socializing. It is also pointed out that relying on chat for quick replies may sacrifice accuracy and quality. The conversation ends with the understanding that the rules are set and no further discussions are needed.
Xsnac
Hi. I registered and paid for membership here just for the chat, and I just found out I can't talk tehnical problems over the chat. There are barely 2-3 users on chat when I log and nobody is talking becose they are afraid to be banned. Is there a midway ? Can we have some sub chat channels where we can talk about physics problems ? I must emphasize I upgraded the account just to talk physics on the chat.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xsnac said:
Hi. I registered and paid for membership here just for the chat, and I just found out I can't talk tehnical problems over the chat. There are barely 2-3 users on chat when I log and nobody is talking becose they are afraid to be banned. Is there a midway ? Can we have some sub chat channels where we can talk about physics problems ? I must emphasize I upgraded the account just to talk physics on the chat.
The forum is where you would ask questions and hold discussions about science, that is what the forums are for. Chat is for socializing, for posting things that wouldn't go in the forum, like what you are watching on tv, feeding your cat, etc...

Last edited:
What If I want a quick replay that a person in the chat can provide instantly ?

Xsnac said:
Replies are usually fairly quick, but not chat quick.

Not to mention that you don't know who is in chat or if the answers they give are correct, there is no one in chat to check for accuracy like in the forum.

Xsnac said:

Do you care more about speed rather than quality and accuracy of the reply? How would you know the person you asked in chat actually knows the correct answer to your question?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Do you care more about speed rather than quality and accuracy of the reply? How would you know the person you asked in chat actually knows the correct answer to your question?

Zz.
I think I'm mature enough to rationalise from the first principles and know if an awnser makes sense or not. And if I'm mistaken and I get fooled I can take the responsability for my actions, don't need some protective shield. But I got the point don't need any more replays. The rules are like this and that's it. No more waste of time.

Xsnac said:
I think I'm mature enough to rationalise from the first principles and know if an awnser makes sense or not. And if I'm mistaken and I get fooled I can take the responsability for my actions, don't need some protective shield. But I got the point don't need any more replays. The rules are like this and that's it. No more waste of time.
You may know if it's misinformation, but what about others? There is no way that we can extend the level of help in the forum to chat. If we did, we'd no longer need the forum. No forum, no chat.

Also, questions and answers in the forums are publicly available to anyone who later browses the forum, searches it using the forum's search tool, or does a general Google search. This is a large part of the reason why people are willing to help out here: their efforts are permanently available to other people besides the original questioners. We're not a private help center.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. Can sub chat channels improve communication within a group?

Yes, sub chat channels can greatly improve communication within a group. By dividing discussions into specific topics or categories, it allows for more focused and organized conversations. This can also prevent important messages from getting lost in a large and active chat room.

2. How many sub chat channels should be created?

The number of sub chat channels needed depends on the size and needs of the group. It is recommended to start with a few channels and add more as necessary. Too many channels can become overwhelming and difficult to manage.

3. Can sub chat channels help with privacy and confidentiality?

Yes, sub chat channels can help with privacy and confidentiality. By creating private channels, members can discuss sensitive information without it being visible to the entire group. This can also be useful for members who are not comfortable sharing personal information in a public forum.

4. How can sub chat channels be effectively moderated?

Sub chat channels can be effectively moderated by assigning moderators to each channel or by having a central moderator who oversees all channels. It is important to have clear guidelines and rules for each channel and to address any issues that may arise in a timely and respectful manner.

5. Are there any downsides to having sub chat channels?

One potential downside of having sub chat channels is that it may create a divide within the group if certain members are more active in one channel compared to others. This can be addressed by encouraging members to participate in different channels and by periodically rotating moderators to different channels to ensure equal attention is given to all topics.