Can we solve this Morin's problem without conservation of string?

In summary,The solutions are,However, how would we solve this without using the idea of conservation of string? Can we apply Newtons second law to each mass?My working is:Then apply Newton's Second Law to each pulley,(Line 1)(Line 2)(Line 3)(Line 4)Many thanks!I don't think your setup is quite right. Just looking at your first equation, you've set the tensions upward equal to gravity downward. This equation says they're equal, and the mass shouldn't move. You need an equation
ChiralSuperfields
For this problem,
1670476146468.png

The solutions are,
1670476172579.png

However, how would we solve this without using the idea of conservation of string? Can we apply Newtons second law to each mass?

My working is:
1670476987827.png

Then apply Newton's Second Law to each pulley,
1670476874650.png
(Line 1)
1670476943075.png
(Line 2)
1670477061170.png
(Line 3)
1670477148284.png
(Line 4)
Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1670476763878.png
    1670476763878.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think your setup is quite right. Just looking at your first equation, you've set the tensions upward equal to gravity downward. This equation says they're equal, and the mass shouldn't move. You need an equation that gives it freedom to move. It should probably have an ##a## in it somewhere.
I don't ever remember using conservation of string to solve Atwoods problems. I could be misremembering, though.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I don't think your setup is quite right. Just looking at your first equation, you've set the tensions upward equal to gravity downward. This equation says they're equal, and the mass shouldn't move. You need an equation that gives it freedom to move. It should probably have an ##a## in it somewhere.
I don't ever remember using conservation of string to solve Atwoods problems. I could be misremembering, though.
Thank for your reply @BiGyElLoWhAt ! I will update that.

Callumnc1 said:
how would we solve this without using the idea of conservation of strin

If string isn't "conserved" (rather than created from nothing, maybe think of it being infinitely stretchable, like some sort oif idealized version of Silly Putty) the left three pullys will all fall to the floor. There's no tension in the strings because string length is not conserved, No solution.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and Lnewqban
It seems to me that equation of line 4 is not correct.
T5, T6 and T7 must have the same value.

Can you visualize the system of pulleys as an instantaneous arrangement of levers?
If so, you could easily understand the relation of the external forces (mg left and mg right).

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Vanadium 50 said:
If string isn't "conserved" (rather than created from nothing, maybe think of it being infinitely stretchable, like some sort oif idealized version of Silly Putty) the left three pullys will all fall to the floor. There's no tension in the strings because string length is not conserved, No solution.
Thanks for your replies @Vanadium 50 and @Lnewqban ! Are you saying that the solution given by Kevin Zhou is incorrect? Many thanks!

Likes Lnewqban
1670532827519.png
(Line 1 fixed?)
1670532931414.png
(Line 4 fixed?)
Are the lines fixed now @Lnewqban ?

Many thanks,
Callum

"Correct" vs. "incorrect" isn't the way I would look at it. I would ask "are you solving the question asked"? When you remove the constant string length constraint, you allow the string to stretch, and with no constraint, your pulleys end up on the floor.

This means you don't want to give up that constraint.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and hutchphd
Callumnc1 said:
View attachment 318431(Line 1 fixed?)
View attachment 318432(Line 4 fixed?)
Are the lines fixed now @Lnewqban ?

Many thanks,
Callum
It seems that line 1 was correct as shown in post #1.
Without solving the whole problem, I would not know how correct lines 1 and 4 are as shown in post 7, sorry.

Why do you want to solve this without using the idea of conservation of string?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
I think he's asking whether or not it's possible, meaning whether it's necessary to utilize that fact or not. I'm not sure that it is, now that I look at it more closely. Without actually solving it, I think you are going to end up with more unknowns than you have equations for.

As for equations 1 and 4, those look correct to me now, other than the fact that you have labeled your accelerations to be the same. You should give each mass it's own acceleration, or couple them together with another equation, probably involving the tensions.
I think the issue with trying to apply N2L here is that the pulleys are massless, they can't obey N2L, as any force would give rise to an infinite acceleration. You would need someway to work around the lack of mass, and effectively turn it into a kinematic equation, which I believe is one of the points of "conservation of string". Now you have equations dealing with distances (string lengths) as opposed to forces.

In general, if you have N variables, you should expect N equations to be able to get unique solutions, if they exist.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Lnewqban said:
It seems that line 1 was correct as shown in post #1.
Without solving the whole problem, I would not know how correct lines 1 and 4 are as shown in post 7, sorry.

Why do you want to solve this without using the idea of conservation of string?
Thanks for your reply @Lnewqban , no worries! I want to solve this without conservation of string too see if it is possible to solve the problem with two methods.

Many thanks,
Callum

Callumnc1 said:
Thanks for your reply @Lnewqban , no worries! I want to solve this without conservation of string too see if it is possible to solve the problem with two methods.

Many thanks,
Callum
You are welcome.
Try the system of imaginary levers described in post #4.

Locate the fulcrum of each lever at the point of each pulley that does not move for the imaginary very small period of time.
Then, for each pulley, you will have two more points to which forces are applied.
Note that you problem has three strings.

All pulleys look alike, but some serve only for changing the direction of the rope/cable/chain, while others act as levers, reducing the pulling effort in half and doubling the length of rope to pull.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
I think he's asking whether or not it's possible, meaning whether it's necessary to utilize that fact or not. I'm not sure that it is, now that I look at it more closely. Without actually solving it, I think you are going to end up with more unknowns than you have equations for.

As for equations 1 and 4, those look correct to me now, other than the fact that you have labeled your accelerations to be the same. You should give each mass it's own acceleration, or couple them together with another equation, probably involving the tensions.
I think the issue with trying to apply N2L here is that the pulleys are massless, they can't obey N2L, as any force would give rise to an infinite acceleration. You would need someway to work around the lack of mass, and effectively turn it into a kinematic equation, which I believe is one of the points of "conservation of string". Now you have equations dealing with distances (string lengths) as opposed to forces.

In general, if you have N variables, you should expect N equations to be able to get unique solutions, if they exist.
Thank you @BiGyElLoWhAt , that was what I was trying to ask! Also thank you @Vanadium 50 for the stuff you said on string constraint! Also why would massless pulleys not obey Newton II?

According to this Physics SE post, Newton II is obeyed by massless pulleys [well at least the way I read it! :) ]
1670566463754.png

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...m#:~:text=Yes it is OK to,if its mass is zero.

Many thanks,
Callum

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Lnewqban said:
You are welcome.
Try the system of imaginary levers described in post #4.

Locate the fulcrum of each lever at the point of each pulley that does not move for the imaginary very small period of time.
Then, for each pulley, you will have two more points to which forces are applied.
Note that you problem has three strings.

All pulleys look alike, but some serve only for changing the direction of the rope/cable/chain, while others act as levers, reducing the pulling effort in half and doubling the length of rope to pull.
Thanks again @Lnewqban - I will try the system of imaginary levers at some point!

Many thanks!

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is Morin's problem?

Morin's problem is a physics problem that involves a horizontal string attached to two masses on a frictionless surface. The problem asks whether it is possible to determine the acceleration of the masses without using the principle of conservation of string.

2. Why is the conservation of string important in solving Morin's problem?

The conservation of string is important because it is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the length of a string remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This principle is crucial in solving Morin's problem because it allows us to relate the accelerations of the two masses to each other.

3. Can Morin's problem be solved without using the conservation of string?

Yes, it is possible to solve Morin's problem without using the conservation of string. However, it requires the use of other principles and equations, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of motion for a system of masses.

4. What are the limitations of solving Morin's problem without conservation of string?

Solving Morin's problem without the conservation of string may lead to more complex and time-consuming calculations. It also may not provide a complete understanding of the problem, as the conservation of string is a fundamental principle in physics that is applicable to many other problems as well.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Morin's problem?

Yes, Morin's problem has real-life applications in various fields, such as engineering, mechanics, and physics. It helps in understanding the behavior of systems with multiple masses and how they are affected by external forces. It also has applications in designing and analyzing structures, such as bridges and buildings.