Can We Stop Gravity? Exploring the Possibility

In summary, spacetime is like a stretched bed linen. Putting on an object with a big mass, will cause its curvature. If we would put a force with our hand down the fabric (where the curve is), equal with the mass of the ball, the fabric would return to its first shape. Is that even possible to happen to spacetime? Could we put a force somehow in the deformed area and bring it back to its first shape? And if that is possible, wouldn't that mean that gravity would stop since it's caused by the curvature of spacetime?
Odette
I know this is probably going to sound stupid but I'm really curious for the opinion of someone who has knowledge.
Well spacetime is like a stretched bed linen. Putting on an object with a big mass, will cause its curvature.
Now imagine having a piece of fabric holding it stretced from both sides. Place a ball on it. It will curve. Just like the spacetime by a sun etc.
If we would put a force with our hand down the fabric (where the curve is), equal with the mass of the ball, the fabric would return to its first shape. Is that even possible to happen to spacetime? Could we put a force somehow in the deformed area and bring it back to its first shape?
And if that is possible, wouldn't that mean that gravity would stop since it's caused by the curvature of spacetime?
I don't know how much stupid this sounds to you but I would appreciate it if you could expalin to me why isn't it possible
Or why it is.
Thank you:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Odette said:
I know this is probably going to sound stupid but I'm really curious for the opinion of someone who has knowledge.
Well spacetime is like a stretched bed linen.
No, it is not. This is a VERY misleading pop-science hueristic and is not to be taken as actually meaningful.

Putting on an object with a big mass, will cause its curvature.
In the heuristic, yes, but again, it's just a pop-sci presentation and misleading
Now imagine having a piece of fabric ...
You need to drop the fabric analogy. It just causes confusion.

Likes ComplexVar89
Odette said:
Well spacetime is like a stretched bed linen.
No it is not. It is a common metaphor used in popular text, but you should not in any way confuse it with what is actually going on and you should definitely not use it to make inferences about how the physics works.

phinds said:
No, it is not.
Orodruin said:
No it is not.
Haha. I started reading thinking ”but I did not use a comma ...”

Likes phinds
@Odette The level tag you chose (”A”) indicates that you have knowledge of the subject equivalent to a graduate student in physics or more and expect an answer and discussion on that level. Based on your question this seems not to be the case. I have changed the level tag to ”B”.

Orodruin said:
@Odette The level tag you chose (”A”) indicates that you have knowledge of the subject equivalent to a graduate student in physics or more and expect an answer and discussion on that level. Based on your question this seems not to be the case. I have changed the level tag to ”B”.
Ok sorry I'm new I didn't know

1. Can we completely eliminate gravity?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature and is responsible for keeping objects in orbit and on the surface of the Earth. It would require an enormous amount of energy to eliminate gravity, which is currently not achievable with our current technology.

2. Is it possible to manipulate gravity?

Yes, it is possible to manipulate gravity to a certain extent. Scientists have been able to manipulate the effects of gravity, such as creating artificial gravity in space using centrifugal force. However, manipulating the actual force of gravity is still beyond our current technological capabilities.

3. Can we create anti-gravity?

Anti-gravity is a theoretical concept and has not been proven to exist. While scientists have been able to create small amounts of negative mass, which would theoretically create anti-gravity, it has not been achieved on a large scale. Additionally, the concept of anti-gravity goes against our current understanding of the laws of physics.

4. What are some proposed methods for stopping or reducing gravity?

Some proposed methods for stopping or reducing gravity include using massive objects to create a gravitational shield, creating artificial gravity through centrifugal force, and harnessing the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies to counteract Earth's gravity. However, these are all theoretical and have not been successfully implemented.

5. What are the potential consequences of stopping gravity?

It is difficult to predict the potential consequences of stopping gravity as it is not currently possible. However, it would likely have a profound impact on the physical laws that govern our universe. It could also have significant implications for the functioning of our planet and the survival of living organisms that have evolved to live in a world with gravity.