Can you build an FM transmitter with a crystal oscillator

In summary: There are plenty of circuits, ...In summary, a crystal oscillator can be used to generate an FM signal, but it is more complicated than using a VCO.
David lopez
Can you build a fm transmitter with
A crystal oscillator? I already have a
100 megahertz crystal oscillator. I can't find instructions on how to do
That on the internet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes you might, but it would certainly be very difficult. It would be a lot easier to build an LC oscillator with a variable capacitance diode, then use an input voltage to change the diode capacitance and so the frequency of the oscillator.

With a fixed crystal oscillator you would need to vary the phase of the transmitted signal to fake an FM signal by phase shift.It would have a very narrow FM and be low volume and hard to hear on a normal FM receiver.

Can you transmit at 100 MHz without permit?

Borek said:
Can you transmit at 100 MHz without permit?
That depends on your location and the power of your transmitter. It is in the FM band here.

I seem to remember some old-fashioned walkie talkie radios that had crystals to lock them into the desired channel. Is that correct?

David lopez said:
A crystal oscillator?
anorlunda said:
I seem to remember some old-fashioned walkie talkie radios that had crystals to lock them into the desired channel. Is that correct?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency_synthesizer

upload_2019-2-14_9-54-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-14_9-54-40.png
    upload_2019-2-14_9-54-40.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 2,192
anorlunda said:
Crystal oscillators are still in common use today. Mostly, as always, for single frequency operation

David lopez said:
That on the internet.
David lopez said:
That on the internet.
It is possible to make a crystal oscillator which can be tuned over a limited range of frequency, and then it is possible to obtain FM. However, the variable oscillator is not as stable as the original.
A quartz crystal is a mechanical resonator but electrically it looks essentially like a series LC circuit. By adding reactance in series, the frequency can be altered. Large values of reactance are required, because the crystal might have a inductance of a Henry or something like that. One method is to use a parallel LC circuit in series with the crystal to obtain a large reactance. The performance is completely hit-and-miss and depends on the precise crystal being used. By placing a variable capacitance diode across the LC circuit it is possible to obtain frequency modulation. The final oscillator will be less stable than the original.

Likes Tom.G
David lopez said:
That on the internet.
There are plenty of circuits, though I recommend not trying to build one because trying to get these VHF circuits working without test equipment (and at frequencies where the proximity of your hand can upset operation) is invariably an exercise in frustration.

This two-transistor schematic has the appearance of being straightforward enough, but it needs a crystal of under 20 MHz. The output tank is tuned to 6 times the frequency of the crystal. Also, crystals even of a particular frequency do differ markedly, you can't just plug in one of the desired frequency and expect it will work.

EDIT I believe I misread what you seek. I see now that you already have the oscillator, and want to use its 100MHz sinewave to drive a modulator to generate an FM signal? Sorry, I can't help there.

100MHz_FM.JPG

Attachments

• 100MHz_FM.JPG
    100MHz_FM.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 3,537
Likes davenn
NascentOxygen said:
There are plenty of circuits, ...
I am afraid that circuit uses a discrete crystal, which is quite different to a crystal oscillator module.

A crystal is a resonator with a very high Q, typically about 1 million. What can be done with a crystal is decided by the external circuit.

A crystal oscillator module is designed to be extremely stable in frequency. Crystal oscillator modules have insufficient bandwidth, or external frequency adjustment, to allow audio FM modulation. Oscillator modules usually produce a clock signal, which is a rectangular wave with high harmonic content.

A voltage controlled oscillator, VCO, is designed to be frequency modulated by an external voltage.

A good engineer can design a crystal oscillator that dampens the high Q of a crystal, which can then be FM modulated. That makes a VCO and defeats the reason a high Q crystal was used in the first place.
The circuit you provided uses that technique to generate an FM signal.

Likes Tom.G
David lopez said:
That on the internet.
As is common with many posts on PF, there is a severe lack of info given by the OP
Baluncore said:
I am afraid that circuit uses a discrete crystal, which is quite different to a crystal oscillator module.

That is true, but I see no specific mention of a crystal oscillator module.

The OP states a 100MHz crystal oscillator which could mean several things

@David lopez it is well past time that you actually state what you have at the moment
photo(s) would be great, part numbers would be helpful as well if not visible in the photo(s)Dave

anorlunda said:
Absolutely. Not long ago, we (impoverished experimenters) didn't have frequency synthesisers and it was common practice to modify a VHF AM Transceiver by pulling the frequency of the driver crystal with an audio signal, using a varactor diode. In my very brief craze with Amateur Radio, I used one (can't remember the make or model) and I also offset the IF frequency so that I could use the AM receiver as a slope detecting FM receiver. As I remember, the crystal was fairly low frequency (say 10MHz) and that signal was multiplied up to the 2m frequency band this multiplication also increased the frequency deviation to a useable amount. Not tuneable but a few different frequencies were selectable with a 'turret tuner' style switch.

Baluncore said:
Yes, immediately I posted that circuit I realized I was actually not answering the poster's exact question. But since his question doesn't have a good answer I left my post hoping it might prompt a re-appraisal of his quest. OP might settle for building a simple VHF transmitter that does use a crystal oscillator, just not his crystal oscillator.

Likes davenn

1. Can I build an FM transmitter with just a crystal oscillator?

Yes, it is possible to build an FM transmitter with just a crystal oscillator. However, you will also need additional components such as a voltage regulator, capacitors, and an antenna to make it functional.

2. What is the function of a crystal oscillator in an FM transmitter?

A crystal oscillator is used to generate a stable and precise frequency for the FM transmitter. It acts as the clock for the transmitter, ensuring that the transmitted signal stays within the desired frequency range.

3. What type of crystal oscillator is suitable for building an FM transmitter?

A crystal oscillator with a frequency range of 88-108 MHz is suitable for building an FM transmitter. This frequency range is commonly used for FM radio broadcasting.

4. Do I need any special skills or knowledge to build an FM transmitter with a crystal oscillator?

Yes, building an FM transmitter with a crystal oscillator requires basic knowledge of electronics and circuitry. You should also have experience in soldering and be able to read and understand circuit diagrams.

5. Can I use a crystal oscillator from an old electronic device to build an FM transmitter?

Yes, you can use a crystal oscillator from an old electronic device as long as it has the appropriate frequency range and is in good working condition. However, it is recommended to use a new crystal oscillator for better performance and reliability.