Can You Derive These Combinatorics Formulas for Fun?

In summary, we discussed three formulas related to permutations and combinations. The first formula explains how a number N can be resolved into two factors in a certain number of ways, depending on whether N is a perfect square or not. The second formula is similar to the first, but it deals with composite numbers and the number of ways they can be resolved into two co-prime factors. The third formula involves arranging n different objects into r boxes, where the arrangement within each box matters. The formula uses the concept of combinations and can be proven using induction and polynomials.
hellraiser
Hi. We are doing permutations and combinations in class and we were given some formulas without proof to remember. I was able to derive most of them but was unable to derive 3 of them. But I would like to see how do I derive them for sake of fun (also if I forget them what will I do. :) ).

1. A number is expressed in the form of product of it's prime factors
N = a^x b^y c^z etc.
Then the number N can be resolved as a product of 2 factors in how many ways?
[Ans : If N is not a perfect square 0.5(x+1)(y+1)(z+1)
If N is a perfect square 0.5[(x+1)(y+1)(z+1)+1]
]

All I can think is to take it to be of this form xy = N.
Then what do I do next.

2. This one is similar to first. The number of ways in which a composite number N can be resolved into 2 factors which are co prime to each other is 2^(n-1) , where n is number of different factors in N (eg: as in last case n=x+y+z)

3. Number of ways of arranging n differnet objects in r boxes where arrangement matters within a box
[(n+r-1)!] / [(r-1)!]

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
#3 looks to me like the definition of the phrase "arrangement matters." I am not sure how one would prove a definition.

All I can think is to take it to be of this form xy = N.
Then what do I do next.
Well, that's a bad thing to do, because x and y already have a meaning in your problem! (They're exponents in the prime factorization of N)

The idea is fine, you just need to use different letters. Say... pq = N.

It seems obvious to me that the next thing to do is to figure something out about p and q.

If I had figured that out I would not have bothered to post it here, would I? :)

Well, you know something about N, right? And since pq = N...

Any help, please? I have thought a lot over this but I can't just get it. What do I do next after I take pq = N.
And what about the other question.

I don't know how you could formally prove the formula (well, I have a vague idea), but you can understand it. Think about what it takes to determine ONE of the factors p or q from the prime factorization of N. Consider the exponents on the factorization. Then refine the idea.

For #2, I don't think you have stated that correctly. In this case the "number of different factors in N" would be n = 3. You can think about #2 in the same way you can think about #1.

The third one involves a trick that I don't think you would ever figure out on your own. The key is like this: think about the spaces _between_ containers. So if there are 5 containers, you would have 4 spaces, which you could represent like ////. Now if you have 7 objects then one arrangement of the objects in the containers would go like 132//7/654/ so that container 1 gets "132," containers 2 and 5 get nothing, container 3 gets 7, and container 4 gets "654." You can work out the general formula from there.

Last edited:
Well. You find the number of factors of N. If N = pq, then for each p and q are considered as the factors of N. So half the number of factors to N is the number of solutions.
N = a^x*b^y*c^z, number of factors = (x+1)(y+1)(z+1)
Third one I would like to be very explanatory.
If n different objects are to be grouped into r groups, then the sum of r numbers which is the number of objects each group contain sums upto n.
Now the number of possible whole number solutions for two variable are n+1. For three, its the summation of n+1 to 1, and thus (n+1)(n+2)/2.
Thus number of boxes r = 1 or 2 andthe total number of objects are n, then the total number of solutions = (n+r-1)C(r-1).
Now for any r, use Induction - polynomials - telescoping and summation to prove that
Sum k = 0 to n [(k+r-1)C(r-1)] = (n+r)C(r)

Related to Can You Derive These Combinatorics Formulas for Fun?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way.

2. What are some common techniques used in combinatorics proofs?

Some common techniques used in combinatorics proofs include using the fundamental principle of counting, induction, and combinatorial identities.

3. How do I approach a combinatorics proof?

The best approach to a combinatorics proof is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to use known techniques and principles to solve each part. It is also important to clearly define the problem and carefully consider all possible cases.

4. What are some real-world applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many real-world applications, including in computer science, cryptography, genetics, and statistical analysis. It is used to solve problems involving scheduling, optimization, and data analysis.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in combinatorics proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid in combinatorics proofs include not considering all possible cases, using incorrect counting techniques, and making assumptions without proper justification. It is also important to clearly state and explain each step in the proof.