Can you download article PDFs from Nature?

In summary, the "Download PDF" option was missing from the "Download Articles" page on Nature Physics, although the main content could still be viewed online. This problem seems to be temporary and has since been resolved.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I belong to an institution where they are subscribed to view the article contents in Nature Publications.

I used to be able to download articles without problem but recently, I tried downloading a research article from Nature Physics, but the "Download PDF" option was missing, although the main content can still be viewed online. Strangely enough, the "Download PDF" is available for open access like Nature Communications. I might be missing something, but is anyone experiencing the same thing? Is this a subscription change thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
It could be some articles are being protected due to piracy issues Or the subscription has changed. I know for books available online, some can be downloaded while others limit it to specific chapters or page views.

i would check with your institutions librarians for the details In this case.

Nature Physics is not open access, so if one does not have a subscription, there is a button that says "Access through your institution".

I don't think this has anything to do with subscriptions, from what I can tell the OP is asking about the FORMAT of the article; not the content.
It used to be that the "primary" version of article was the printed version and the PDF therefor usually be format which was easiest to read.
These days most people read the journal online and the icon for downloading the PDF version has gradually become less prominent.
Personally, I haven't come across an article where the PDF wasn't available at all; but it doesn't surprise me if it has started disappearing altogether. Many articles now include figures, animations etc that are best viewed in pop-up windows in the browser so it could be that they've stopped formatting some as PDF altogether.

I am able to download PDFs of articles in Nature Physics, so the problem may be at your end (either with your institution's subscription or with your connection to your institution's subscription).

It seems like it was a temporary error on the institution server. I am now able to download articles.

Sorry for the hassle. Thank you guys!

1. Can I download article PDFs from Nature for free?

Yes, you can download article PDFs from Nature for free. However, some articles may require a subscription or payment to access.

2. How do I download an article PDF from Nature?

To download an article PDF from Nature, simply go to the article page and click on the “Download PDF” button located on the right side of the page.

3. Can I download multiple article PDFs from Nature at once?

No, you cannot download multiple article PDFs from Nature at once. Each article must be downloaded individually.

4. Are there any restrictions on downloading article PDFs from Nature?

Yes, there may be restrictions on downloading article PDFs from Nature. Some articles may be available for download only to subscribers or for a fee, while others may have copyright restrictions.

5. Can I download article PDFs from Nature on my mobile device?

Yes, you can download article PDFs from Nature on your mobile device. The website is optimized for mobile use, and you can access and download articles just like you would on a desktop computer.