Can you find the Force without acceleration?

In summary, during the siege of Constantinople in 1453, the Turks used a cannon that could launch a 5.40 X 10^2 stone cannonball. If a soldier dropped the cannonball and it rolled down a hill at a 30 degree angle, with a work of 5.20 X 10^4 J done by gravity, the distance it rolled can be found using conservation of energy and trigonometry. The only forces acting on the cannonball are the force of gravity and the normal force.
xZerocopyx

Homework Statement

In 1453, during the siege of Constantinople, the Turks used a cannon capable of launching a stone cannonball with a mass of 5.40 X 10^2. Suppose a soldier dropped a cannonball with this mass while trying to load it into the cannon. The cannonball rolled down a hill that made an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. If 5.20 X 10^4 J of work was done by gravity on the cannonball on the cannonball as it rolled down a hill, how far did it roll?

Homework Equations

W=Fdcos(30)

The Attempt at a Solution

d=W/Fcos(30)
F=ma
d=W/macos(30)
d=(5300)/(540)acos(30)

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram. What forces are acting on the cannonball as it rolls down the hill?

I can't really draw on the screen but I can say it. The forces acting I guess are Fg(force of gravity)(down), the Fn (Normal force)(up) and the force of the ball Rolling downhill?(east)

You're making this much too difficult. Imagine a triangle making an angle 30 degrees off the horizontal. What does conservation of energy tell you about how much vertical distance is covered if a certain amount of energy is given to the object?

I don't know. Al we learned so far is the Conservation of Mechanical Energy, which is MEi =MEf, but to use this seems extremely complicated, unless I am misunderstanding it...

xZerocopyx said:
I don't know. Al we learned so far is the Conservation of Mechanical Energy, which is MEi =MEf, but to use this seems extremely complicated, unless I am misunderstanding it...

Conservation of energy is the simplest thing in the world! The energy a system is always conserved. The amount of energy gained by moving an object in a gravitational field in this situation is simply [tex]\delta PE = mg\delta h[/tex]where m is the mass, g is the acceleration of gravity, and [tex]\delta h[/tex] is the distance the object is moved. So if an object has had a certain energy put into it by a gravitational field (and you assume the object doesn't have any kinetic energy before and after), then you can tell how far it fell. Then it comes down to simple trigonometry.

If the only force acting on the object is the force of gravity, you can use g as the acceleration

Ok. thanks

1. What is the Force?

The Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects or particles. It can be thought of as a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction.

2. Can the Force be present without acceleration?

Yes, the Force can exist without causing any acceleration. This happens when the force is balanced by an equal and opposite force, resulting in a net force of zero and no change in motion.

3. How is the Force related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the Force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the force applied, the greater the acceleration will be.

4. Can the Force exist in a vacuum?

Yes, the Force can exist in a vacuum. In fact, in space, where there is no air resistance or other forces acting on objects, the Force is the only factor that can affect an object's motion.

5. Is it possible to measure the Force without acceleration?

Yes, it is possible to measure the Force without acceleration. This can be done using devices such as force gauges or by observing the effects of the force on objects, even if there is no change in their motion.