Can You Get 2 PhDs? Exploring the Possibility and Feasibility

• Programs
  • Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
In summary, it is not common or advisable to pursue a second Ph.D. at a different school, as it can be seen as a waste of time and resources. It is better to gain experience through post-doctoral work and to broaden one's horizons by working with experts in the field. While there are some cases where people have successfully obtained multiple Ph.D.s, it is not a common or recommended practice.
Many people switch fields, usually because a method/technique they learned how to use in one field turns out to be useful in another. In some cases people simply "drift" gradually over to the new areas, i.e. they are not really following a plan of any sort.
Money is also important: if you can find money to do research in your "own" field you might have to switch.
I know several people that have moved from superconducting devices (SQUIDs, qubits etc) to quantum optics and vice versa. I also have a colleague to moved from from femtosecond lasers to biophysics (initially because her lasers where useful in that field and so on).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think anyone would argue that gradually switching research areas is not unusual: in fact, it's vital in order to survive in some fields! However, that is an entirely different matter from the one in the OP, namely a student planning to study one area, then take a PhD in a different one immediately.

Switching between one field of physics and another is a little difference than deciding you want to teach History at a University instead of Chemistry.

My supervisor (Prof. of Mathematics) did got his MD while doing a post-doc (in mathematics). I'm not entirely sure why he did this, but I *think* it was because Gelfand got him interested in protein folding.

Instead of a second PhD, what if you just got a masters? Then you'd have the doctorate in one field which shows you can do research and masters in another field which shows you have taken graduate level courses.

Is it possible to get a PhD in chemical engineering and then afterwards a masters in Mechanical Engineering?

leumas614 said:
Is it possible to get a PhD in chemical engineering and then afterwards a masters in Mechanical Engineering?

The problem is: what have you done in chemical engineering that qualifies you to take graduate courses in mechanical engineering? You'll almost certainly have to take some of the undergraduate mechanical engineering courses in order to be prepared.

That said, sure, it's possible.

Hippo said:
Yes its possible. Over here most of our Engineering staff members and Professors have dual PhD from their homeland and another one obtained over here in the States. We got Turkish, Chinese, Indian and Iranian professors with dual PhD here in California.

There is a Chinese Professor that has a degree in Physics in Beijing Normal University and another here in Berkley and is doing just fine in teaching here in Southern California. Another guy over here is Indian but he doesn't have a degree from the states, he graduated from India Institute of Technology and is teaching courses in the department in Electrical Engineering in San Diego right now, as long as you can do the job effectively and professionally no one really cares in what kinda institution you'd studied from.
Dear Hippo ,will you please let me know the name and web address of the chinese Prof.in Physics who is having two Ph.Ds one from Beijing Normal university and one from Berkely working in Southern California ? as you have mentioned.
Thanks.

I returned from industry (after 8 years of work) to do my masters. because I was away from school I was forced to enter a medium university (a top university in a medium country i.e. Malaysia).

As one of the professors in the school said my masters thesis was among the only 2 thesis which were given the "excellent" mark in the history of the school.

However, after that I could not secure a scholarship from a reputable university (partly because of political issues , partly because I had done in not a top university). However my current university provided me with a full scholarship.

Anyway, I was forced to start my PhD here (since 8 months ago). I am sure I'll regret remaining in this university in future. I wish I had money to go to Europe or Japan at least.

You know what is a difference? In a medium university, an excellent student will at most become a medium researcher. In a better environment, under better supervision, a good student becomes a good researcher.

Because we have British system here (research only), there is no postgraduate course you mat attend. I need some courses (math, physics and even computer) but the only way is to study for yourself and considering our limited time, this is sometimes impossible.

I was also thinking about doing a second PhD is a better place.

What do you advise?

Last edited:
Personally I'd be thrilled if you did a second PhD. It would mean less competition for post doc positions.

Ice109's posted nothing but vague+inflammatory comments and while the thread's premise has engendered some interesting discourse, I call troll.

*edited in the correct name, apologies to ice109*

Last edited:
Iceman? Do you mean ice109?

Joydivining said:
Ice109's posted nothing but vague+inflammatory comments and while the thread's premise has engendered some interesting discourse, I call troll.

*edited in the correct name, apologies to ice109*

I think there's a statute of limitations on troll calling.

and anyway this is a weird topic to troll on don't you think?