Can you help to solve this integral? (resin viscosity research)

In summary, the tex was not rendering, so the OP winged it. Without any additional information about the variables, the integral is-Hypergeometric2F1[1,-k/(b-k),(b-2*k)/(b-k),-(a*E^((b-k)*x))/c]/(c*E^(k*x)*k)and I don't find any simplifications for that, additional domain info might or might not help.
mowata
TL;DR Summary
I have tried WolfarmAlpha but it could help me. Please note this is not a homework exercise. I am a researcher and I am looking to model viscosity development of resin. there I came across with this express :)
I have tried WolfarmAlpha but it could help me. Please note this is not a homework exercise. I am a researcher and I am looking to model viscosity development of resin. there I came across with this express :)

$$\int{\frac{1}{a\cdot e^{bx}+c\cdot e^{kx}}dx}$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's to solve? That's just an equation. No variables are defined. No values to input.

Is the question "does this have a known antiderivative"?

Substituting [itex]t = (c/a)e^{(k-b)x}[/itex] for [itex]k \neq b[/itex] leads to [tex]
\int \frac{1}{ae^{bx} + ce^{kx}}\,dx =
\frac{1}{a(k-b)}\left(\frac{a}{c}\right)^{b/(b-k)}\int \frac{t^{b/(b-k) - 1}}{1 + t}\,dt[/tex] which depending on the limits might be expressible in terms of complete or incomplete Beta functions with parameters [itex]b/(b-k)[/itex] and [itex]-k/(b-k)[/itex].

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes mowata and berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
What's to solve? That's just an equation. No variables are defined. No values to input.
The integral that the OP wrote is NOT an equation -- an equation states the equality of two or more expressions, where the expressions are separated by '=' symbols.

Likes SammyS
mowata said:
I have tried WolfarmAlpha but it could help me. Please note this is not a homework exercise. I am a researcher and I am looking to model viscosity development of resin. there I came across with this express :) $$\int{\frac{1}{a\cdot e^{bx}+c\cdot e^{kx}}dx}$$
It would be helpful if you told us where you found this integral.

Mark44 said:
The integral that the OP wrote is NOT an equation -- an equation states the equality of two or more expressions, where the expressions are separated by '=' symbols.
Yeah. In its first iteration, the tex wasn't even rendering, so I was winging it.

Likes mowata
Without any additional information about the variables, the integral is

-Hypergeometric2F1[1,-k/(b-k),(b-2*k)/(b-k),-(a*E^((b-k)*x))/c]/(c*E^(k*x)*k)

and I don't find any simplifications for that, additional domain info might or might not help.

Integrating from 0 to t gives

(E^(k*t)*Hypergeometric2F1[1,-k/(b-k),2+b/(-b+k),-a/c]-
Hypergeometric2F1[1,-k/(b-k),2+b/(-b+k),-(a*E^((b-k)*t))/c])/(c*E^(k*t)*k)

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/Hypergeometric2F1.html

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Yeah. In its first iteration, the tex wasn't even rendering, so I was winging it.
its just an integral, I need solution of the integral mean its antiderivative if possible. Some how tex is not rendering that's why it seems strange, the expression for the integral is dx/(a.e^(bx)+c.e^(kx)), where a, b, c and k are constants, x is the variable which is basically time, the limits of the integral goes from 0 to t.

Likes berkeman and jim mcnamara
pasmith said:
Is the question "does this have a known antiderivative"?

Substituting [itex]t = (c/a)e^{(k-b)x}[/itex] for [itex]k \neq b[/itex] leads to [tex]
\int \frac{1}{ae^{bx} + ce^{kx}}\,dx =
\frac{1}{a(k-b)}\left(\frac{a}{c}\right)^{b/(b-k)}\int \frac{t^{b/(b-k) - 1}}{1 + t}\,dt[/tex] which depending on the limits might be expressible in terms of complete or incomplete Beta functions with parameters [itex]b/(b-k)[/itex] and [itex]-k/(b-k)[/itex].
This is interesting, Let me go through this first. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the purpose of researching resin viscosity?

The purpose of researching resin viscosity is to understand the flow behavior of resin, which is important in many industrial processes such as coating, adhesives, and composites. It also helps in optimizing the production process and ensuring product quality.

2. What factors affect resin viscosity?

The factors that affect resin viscosity include temperature, pressure, shear rate, resin composition, and curing time. These factors can alter the molecular structure and interactions within the resin, leading to changes in viscosity.

3. How is resin viscosity measured?

Resin viscosity can be measured using various techniques such as viscometry, rheometry, and flow cups. These methods involve applying a known force or shear rate to the resin and measuring the resulting flow behavior.

4. Can resin viscosity be controlled?

Yes, resin viscosity can be controlled by adjusting the resin composition, temperature, and curing time. By understanding the factors that affect viscosity, scientists can manipulate the resin to achieve the desired flow behavior.

5. How can understanding resin viscosity benefit industries?

Understanding resin viscosity can benefit industries by improving the efficiency and quality of production processes. It can also help in developing new and improved products with desired properties. Additionally, it can aid in troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in the production process.