Can You Identify These Aircraft from Limited Clues?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, Gokul posted two pictures of aircraft, one with a stealth plane in it and one with a paramecium. Respondent B correctly guessed the stealth plane. Respondent C guessed the paramecium, and Respondent D guessed the Northrop B-2 Spirit. Gokul posted the next clue, which was a picture of a satellite. Respondent E guessed the correct satellite, a Russian Soyuz. Respondent B guessed the next aircraft, the B-2. Respondent D guessed the Northrop B-2 Spirit again. Gokul posted the last clue, which was a picture of a person. Respondent A guessed the correct person, Kapische?.
Qu16: Looks a bit like the nose of a MIG 29 (or is it 25?) ut I'm not sure that would be in a USAF museum.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, its a B-1b

Oh well. Its just that distinctive heat shielded kind of nose thing that I picked up on.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, that's not a 707's engine is it?
IIRC, the JT8's had bypass.

http://www.pratt-whitney.com/about_history_classic_jt3d.asp

Last edited:
They are simliar to a 52, very very low bypass turbojets.

Q15: (double check #) J31.

Q15: I'm waiting for hint #2 on this one. That inlet nose is driving me nuts.

Smaller and wimpier than a J35, less primitive than a Whittle --- 'tis a puzzler.

Cyrus has 3 points for the lancer.

Have I missed anyone? Sometime soon, I'll post cumulative scores...perhaps when I think we're about midway.

The good ole days, eh boys?

http://www.flightpaths.com.au/gfx/content_preview/jet_engine.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
J79 ; I got to stop scaling things from connectors and cables.

Good job, well earned.

Little Boy

Bystander said:
Little Boy
Wow! That was the first time I saw it - never even saw a picture of it before.

Bystander - 3 more.

sikorski s-55

Edit: Ugly, like fred.

cyrusabdollahi said:
sikorski s-55
Very close. It's actually the UH-19, but S-55 is good enough for 3 points.

Time to make it a little tough again...

Your clue leaves me clueless. Please elaborate on what you mean by "the race" there were many races in avaiations history.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Your clue leaves me clueless. Please elaborate on what you mean by "the race" there were many races in avaiations history.
Many races in aviation history; two big Races in modern World history.

F-86 sabre

Vanguard I

cyrusabdollahi said:
F-86 sabre
Correct, for 3 points.

Q18: Cheated --- that's so obscure as to be ridiculous. See if Fred gets it on "1."

Re: Q18... I've never seen anything like that, so I've got to go for a (semi)educated guess. Since it's gold-plated, it's obviously intended for space applications; that opinion is also based upon the 'space race' that was going on when I was a mere child. My guess, although it doesn't look like one, is that it's the rear view of an early prototype space helmet.

cyrusabdollahi said:
sikorski s-55

Edit: Ugly, like fred.
Amatueur. It's a Chickasaw. Geeze. The differences are glaring.

Last edited:
Q18: Not a friggin' clue.

Q18: save the second clue --- I'll take my 2 pts. for "Corona film cannister," or "Corona film recovery cannister."

Bystander said:
Q18: save the second clue --- I'll take my 2 pts. for "Corona film cannister," or "Corona film recovery cannister."
That's good for 2 points. The thing in the object is a Discoverer satellite, one of the early successes of the Corona Project. Also, being Discoverer XIV, it is the first satellite to be ejected by an orbiting spave vehicle and recovered in mid-air. Upon re-entry, it deployed a parachute which was successfully snagged by a C-119.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/294/img2141oi8.jpg

I thought the obscurity of this one would be at least somewhat alleviated by its being in the news last year, when the Corona Engineers were awarded the NAE's Draper Prize.

(update, till Q20)

Code:
[u]SCORES[/u] :

Bystander      16
Cyrus          27
Fred           10
Kurdt          3

Note: There were question numbers that were messed up. They've now been fixed. I believe these scores are correct.

Last edited: