Can you make bio-diesel at home with ethanol instead of methanol?

• Thread starter Bluevein
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of making biodiesel from vegetable oil, methanol, and lye. The original poster is interested in doing this to save money on fuel costs, but is unsure about the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of producing their own methanol or ethanol. They also mention the potential issues with waste disposal and the difficulty of obtaining used vegetable oil. Another forum member advises against making methanol and suggests using ethanol instead, but cautions about the potential costs and challenges involved. The original poster expresses gratitude for the information and decides to put the project on hold for now.
Bluevein
Hi All,

New to the forums and fascinated with chemisty, physics and engineering.

Two years ago i bought a 250 acre rural property and live about 45mins from a major town where i work.

With fuel prices going up and up and other economic turmoil, I've decided to put my property to good use and to start researching how to make my own bio diesel.

I did do a search on the forum before i started this post, but couldn't find such a topic.

From the basic research I've done, you can make your own bio-diesel using:

80% Vegetable oil
19.65% Methanol
0.35% Lye

To make the whole process cost effective, i would need to manufacture the methanol and vegetable oil (or get it from McDonalds).

(Edit: link deleted)

The questions i have are.

1) How do you cost effectively make methanol?
2) Can you use ethanol instead of methanol to make bio-diesel?

Any good links or info on this would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,
Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You won't be able to make methanol any cheaper than you can buy it. The low tech way to make it is by destructive distillation which is very hazardous unless you know what you're doing and if you do it to scale will likely attract a lot of attention. Yield is fairly low and lots of bad chemicals are produced as well which will cost to dispose of or flare properly. Big bucks. Current pricing is about $1.10/gal when you buy a ton so you might buy in quantity to get the best price. You will not be able to make it any cheaper than that but if you find a way, give up your day job and become a multimillionare with your process. You will likely find that suppliers won't sell large quantities to you unless they think you know what you're doing. Most won't sell to individuals, even if you know what you're doing, so it is better to form a company.

Ethanol, however, is dead easy. Ferment something sweet and you're off to the races. It will require a large still, which will make you 'interesting' to certain state and federal agencies, but you can do it. The final distillation to remove the last traces of water will be tricky and will require some special equipment and materials but it can be done. Price for this is horrible though... even more than methanol unless you can get the sugars and fuel/energy for practically nothing. The biodiesel produced with ethanol has higher cloud points and viscosity so it will be 'interesting' to work with.

So, what I've found is that you have to buy your methanol, sodium methoxide (or sodium hydroxide and make your own) and your used veggie oil. Almost gone are the days when you could go down to the local restaurant or donut shop (the best oil, I've heard) and pick up the waste for practically nothing, at least legally that is. I would be totally shocked if you could get McDonalds to let you touch it but YMMV. Focus on the donut shops! Biodiesel will cost you more than petro diesel sometimes and it's WORK to do it properly. The cost of waste disposal is a factor as well. You will use a lot of water and generate a lot of caustic waste or perhaps acidic waste if you first treat with strong sulfuric acid. Some folks don't bother with calculating waste costs and simply dump the waste into the sewer. If you try that, expect fines and scrutiny from the wastewater district. They can find you, BTW. Since the byproducts really impact the wastewater's FOG, BOD and COD numbers, they put an end to it (disposal down the sewer) if you get to producing large scale. If you intend to just broadcast it over your land or use your own septic system, you'll probably be alright. Just neutralize your waste before releasing it.

You'll find that making your own oil is a real pain but low tech methods might be cost effective if you don't figure your own labor.

I'm interested to hear about your small scale oil production ideas.

Thanks so much for your response. You have given me a lot to consider, not to mention the viability of purchasing methanol.

Refining and producing a near pure ethanol doesn't sounds seem to be a viable option based on the research I've undertaken.

I might put this project on hold for the time being.

1. What is bio-diesel and how is it made?

Bio-diesel is a renewable fuel made from vegetable oils, animal fats, or recycled cooking oil. It is made by a process called transesterification, which involves reacting the oil with an alcohol (usually methanol) and a catalyst (such as sodium hydroxide) to produce bio-diesel and glycerin.

2. What are the benefits of using bio-diesel?

Using bio-diesel has several benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, being a renewable and sustainable fuel source, and being biodegradable and non-toxic.

3. Can I make my own bio-diesel at home?

Yes, it is possible to make bio-diesel at home. However, it is important to follow proper safety measures and have the necessary equipment and knowledge to ensure the bio-diesel is made correctly and safely.

4. What materials and equipment do I need to make bio-diesel?

To make bio-diesel at home, you will need vegetable oil or animal fat, methanol, a catalyst such as sodium hydroxide, a blender or stirrer, and containers for mixing and storing the bio-diesel. It is also recommended to have safety equipment such as goggles, gloves, and a fire extinguisher.

5. Is bio-diesel compatible with all diesel engines?

In most cases, bio-diesel is compatible with diesel engines. However, it is important to consult with the manufacturer of your engine to ensure it is compatible and to determine the appropriate blend of bio-diesel to use. Using a higher blend of bio-diesel than recommended may cause engine damage.