Can you measure voltage of AA batteries while they operate?

In summary: This project is for high school students.You can use an ohmmeter or a voltmeter to measure the voltage, and an oven or heating pad to measure the amp current.
stephencockmon
I'm wanting to know if I can and if so how to measure the voltage of two AA batteries whilst they are in a device with the device turned on. This device is a vibrating toothbrush so if anyone could help with an answer, it would help teremendously with my science project as I am testing the effects of temperature on batteries.

Engineering news on Phys.org
stephencockmon said:
I'm wanting to know if I can and if so how to measure the voltage of two AA batteries whilst they are in a device with the device turned on. This device is a vibrating toothbrush so if anyone could help with an answer, it would help teremendously with my science project as I am testing the effects of temperature on batteries.
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, you can certainly monitor the voltage while the device is operating. The challenge is how to connect physically to the ends of the 2-battery stack.

Can you post some pictures? Are you okay with drilling some holes in the toothbrush, or do you want to try to do it non-invasively? Do you have access to copper tape? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Yes, you can certainly monitor the voltage while the device is operating. The challenge is how to connect physically to the ends of the 2-battery stack.

Can you post some pictures? Are you okay with drilling some holes in the toothbrush, or do you want to try to do it non-invasively? Do you have access to copper tape? :smile:

Will do tomorrow, and I wouldn't be against it as long as it doesn't change the functioning capacity of it, I'd just like to do what works? What can copper tape be used for?

stephencockmon said:
Will do tomorrow, and I wouldn't be against it as long as it doesn't change the functioning capacity of it, I'd just like to do what works? What can copper tape be used for?
You can use copper tape to make very thin strips that you can put at the two ends of the battery stack and solder wires to in order to route the wires out of the end of the toothbrush.

image.jpeg
berkeman said:
You can use copper tape to make very thin strips that you can put at the two ends of the battery stack and solder wires to in order to route the wires out of the end of the toothbrush.

berkeman said:

What kind of voltmeter do I need to use? That is if there is a specific type, preferably at a lower price.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.3 KB · Views: 347
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

So as you can see the battery can be held in without the cap due to the design and can also operate without the cap screwed in place and yes I would like to do it non-invasively or rather without drilling holes in it haha. But I would like to know what you think would work as far as testing the voltage while it runs and what to test the voltage with?

stephencockmon said:
What kind of voltmeter do I need to use? That is if there is a specific type, preferably at a lower price.

Also now the question arises? How might I measure the amps being put out?

stephencockmon said:
So as you can see the battery can be held in without the cap due to the design and can also operate without the cap screwed in place and yes I would like to do it non-invasively or rather without drilling holes in it haha. But I would like to know what you think would work as far as testing the voltage while it runs and what to test the voltage with?
stephencockmon said:
Also now the question arises? How might I measure the amps being put out?
Well, you can go from just measuring the average DC voltage of the batteries during operation, all the way to using an oscilloscope and clamp-on Hall-effect current probe to get a more accurate picture of what is going on with the batteries.

What grade level is this project for? What electronics test equipment do you have access to? You mentioned making these measurements over temperature for your project -- how are you planning on setting and measuring the temperature of the batteries?

I would use an external 2xAA battery holder and rig up some expanding stick-type thing to make contact with the two battery terminals in the toothbrush. That will be easier, and more flexible than trying to rig up test pads inside the toothbrush. Something like this:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/images/product/P3192320.jpg
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/images/product/P3192320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finishing my 12th grade year and I'm very passionate about my project, just a bit clueless when it comes to some things. So I have a multimeter and my toothbrush but I don't know how I'll be able to touch the red (positive) chord to the positive end of the battery while it is inside the toothbrush or if that's what I'm even supposed to do?

stephencockmon said:
I'm finishing my 12th grade year and I'm very passionate about my project, just a bit clueless when it comes to some things. So I have a multimeter and my toothbrush but I don't know how I'll be able to touch the red (positive) chord to the positive end of the battery while it is inside the toothbrush or if that's what I'm even supposed to do?

I again want to thank you very much for the help, I'm a bit lost but I love learning this stuff. And I'm about to upload a picture of the multimeter I have so you might better understand the situation.

image.jpeg

stephencockmon said:
So I have a multimeter and my toothbrush

good :)

stephencockmon said:
but I don't know how I'll be able to touch the red (positive) chord to the positive end of the battery while it is inside the toothbrush or if that's what I'm even supposed to do?

that's what the copper strip is for that berkeman was talking about

set it up like this have drawn a nice pic for you :smile:

batteries and tape.JPG

cheers
Dave

Likes berkeman
davenn said:

View attachment 96457
cheers
Dave

Alright so where does the other end of tape lead to? And it's actually just 1 battery thankfully so less waste.

stephencockmon said:
Alright so where does the other end of tape lead to?

The left end, the one bent up is where you touch the positive lead probe tip of your multimeter to
the negative lead probe tip of the meter you can place against the negative end of the battery(ies) there will be a coil spring there just like in that battery holder berkeman had shown you

I had shown 2 batteries as that's what you said in your opening post :wink:Dave

davenn said:
The left end, the one bent up is where you touch the positive lead probe tip of your multimeter to
the negative lead probe tip of the meter you can place against the negative end of the battery(ies) there will be a coil spring there just like in that battery holder berkeman had shown you

I had shown 2 batteries as that's what you said in your opening post :wink:Dave

True haha that was my bad guess, but much thanks, I'll be testing and I'll probably let you guys know how it goes, thanks again guys!

Likes davenn
stephencockmon said:
image-jpeg.96436.jpg

Doesn't this tooth brush only have one AA battery? I recently took apart one like this to get the motor and it only had one battery.
toothmotor.jpg

edit: oops. davenn beat me to the 2 battery thing.

Likes davenn
stephencockmon said:
Nice DMM! What model is it? It looks like it has an AC current sensing loop, but the toothbrush current will be mostly DC.

You can make measurements of the DC and AC voltages once you get the probe points on your battery figured out. Keep in mind that as a battery discharges, its characteristics change a bit. You should look around at the Duracell website to find a datasheet for the AA batteries you will be using in your project. :smile:

davenn said:

View attachment 96457
cheers
Dave

Here's another question since you guys are so good at answering them lol, where can I buy some copper tape? And what exactly does it look like?

stephencockmon said:
Here's another question since you guys are so good at answering them lol, where can I buy some copper tape? And what exactly does it look like?
In Silicon Valley, you can get it at Halted or Anchor Electronics... :smile:

It's pretty expensive to buy a roll of copper tape, so we may need to figure out an alternative for your project. You need something wide enough to be a good contact, and made of copper so you can solder a wire to it. Do you have a soldering iron?

berkeman said:
In Silicon Valley, you can get it at Halted or Anchor Electronics... :smile:

It's pretty expensive to buy a roll of copper tape, so we may need to figure out an alternative for your project. You need something wide enough to be a good contact, and made of copper so you can solder a wire to it. Do you have a soldering iron?

I don't have a soldering iron, can I not just apply the tape to the tip of the probe of the mulimeter?

berkeman said:
Nice DMM! What model is it? It looks like it has an AC current sensing loop, but the toothbrush current will be mostly DC.

You can make measurements of the DC and AC voltages once you get the probe points on your battery figured out. Keep in mind that as a battery discharges, its characteristics change a bit. You should look around at the Duracell website to find a datasheet for the AA batteries you will be using in your project. :smile:

It's my associate pastor's actually, he's a cool guy and he's my friend's dad haha

stephencockmon said:
I don't have a soldering iron, can I not just apply the tape to the tip of the probe of the mulimeter?

Would this work?
image.jpg

stephencockmon said:

looks like this ...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...BIR&pq=rolls of copper tape &sc=0-0&sp=-1&sk=

I don't know where you live ??
berkeman has suggested a couple of Californian places if you are in the USA

you could try hardware stores or other electronic stores, either of them may sell it in small strips

I have recovered strips of copper tape from around the windings of old mains transformers where it was used as shielding
Dave

stephencockmon said:
Would this work?View attachment 96466

looks pretty heavy gauge, it may or may not fit down the thin gap between the battery and the housing ??

if it fits then use it :smile:

davenn said:
if it fits then use it
Since copper is such a good conductor (electrically and thermally), it would probably effect his intent of
... testing the effects of temperature on batteries.

stephencockmon said:
Would this work?View attachment 96466
Check your personal messages. I can just mail you a strip of copper tape to use for your project. :smile:

Likes dlgoff and davenn

1. Can I measure the voltage of AA batteries while they are being used?

Yes, you can measure the voltage of AA batteries while they are in use, but it is important to keep in mind that the voltage measurement may not be accurate due to fluctuations in the battery's output.

2. Do I need special equipment to measure the voltage of AA batteries?

No, you do not need any special equipment to measure the voltage of AA batteries. A basic multimeter or voltmeter can be used to measure the voltage.

3. How do I measure the voltage of AA batteries while they are in use?

To measure the voltage of AA batteries while they are in use, you will need to connect the positive lead of your multimeter or voltmeter to the positive end of the battery and the negative lead to the negative end. Make sure to take caution and not touch both ends of the battery at the same time.

4. What is the typical voltage range for AA batteries?

The typical voltage range for AA batteries is 1.5 to 1.6 volts. However, the exact voltage may vary slightly depending on the brand and type of battery.

5. Will measuring the voltage of AA batteries while they are in use damage the batteries?

No, measuring the voltage of AA batteries while they are in use will not damage the batteries as long as you use caution and do not touch both ends of the battery at the same time.