Can you please explain how to factorize

• Thread starter sarah786
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary: That is the factorization of the original equation.In summary, to factorize x4+2x2+9, you can use the quadratic formula to find complex roots, but to factorize over the reals, you need to find two real quadratics that each have those complex roots as their complex conjugates. Alternatively, you can rewrite the equation as (x2+3)2 - (2x)2 and factor accordingly.
sarah786
Can you please explain how to factorize x4+2x2+9
If i do it by quadratic formula, i get complex roots ... in my book, it has been factorized to
(x2+2x+3)(x2-2x + 3)

Mathematics news on Phys.org

sarah786 said:
If i do it by quadratic formula, i get complex roots ... in my book, it has been factorized to
(x2+2x+3)(x2-2x + 3)

Which complex roots did you get?

sarah786 said:
(x2+2x+3)(x2-2x + 3)

When it says factorize over the reals, it means your factors have to have real coefficients. A root of x-(a+bi) does not have all real coefficients. Also remember that any real quadratic with a complex root also has a complex conjugate as its other root. So you can also work backwards from the two conjugates to find the real quadratic that has those roots.

your equation can be written as
X4 + 6X2 - 4X2 + 9
= X4 + 6X2+9 - 4X2
= ( X2 + 3 )2 - (2X)2
= ( X2+3+2X) (X2+3- 2X)

Last edited:

sarah786 said:
(x2+2x+3)(x2-2x + 3)
Let u=x2. Then you need to solve u2 +2u +9, and take square roots of both solutions.

Related to Can you please explain how to factorize

1. What is factorization?

Factorization is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression or number into smaller parts, called factors, that when multiplied together give the original expression or number. It is an important concept in algebra and can be used to simplify complex expressions and solve equations.

2. How do you factorize a polynomial?

To factorize a polynomial, you need to find the common factors of all its terms and then use the distributive property to rewrite the expression as a product of these factors. This process can involve techniques such as factoring by grouping, finding the greatest common factor, and using the difference of squares or perfect square trinomial formulas.

3. Why is factorization important?

Factorization is important because it allows us to rewrite complex expressions or numbers in a simpler form, making it easier to understand and work with them. It also plays a crucial role in solving equations and finding the roots of polynomial functions.

4. Can you give an example of factorization?

Sure, let's say we have the polynomial expression 2x^2 + 10x. The common factor here is 2x, so we can rewrite it as 2x(x + 5). This is an example of factoring by finding the greatest common factor. We can then use the distributive property to simplify it further to 2x^2 + 10x = 2x(x + 5) = 2x^2 + 10x.

5. What are some real-world applications of factorization?

Factorization has many real-world applications, such as in cryptography, where it is used to break down large numbers into their prime factors to make them more secure. It is also used in finance and economics to calculate interest rates and analyze financial data. In chemistry, factorization is used to balance chemical equations. Additionally, factorization is used in computer science for tasks such as data compression and error correction.