Can you point out physical interpretation of the complex permittivity?

In summary: It's analogous to a battery storing energy in an electrical circuit. The real part is also related to the permeability of the material, which is how well the material allows for the movement of charges and waves. Higher permeability means slower movement of charges and waves. In summary, the real part of the permittivity describes the behavior of a material as a dielectric and is indicative of how well the medium can polarize. Higher permeability means slower movement of charges and waves.
krindik
Hi,

Can u point out physical interpretation of the complex permittivity? (ie. what can u expect from a material with [tex]\epsilon[/tex]' = x and [tex]\epsilon[/tex]'' = y ? what happens if y is very large etc.

[tex]\epsilon[/tex] = [tex]\epsilon[/tex]' -j [tex]\epsilon[/tex]''

thanks

Krindik

Physics news on Phys.org
The imaginary part can model gain/loss of a medium. Normally we model the imaginary part to be equal to

[tex]\frac{\sigma}{\omega}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma[/tex] is the conductivity of the medium and has been defined for a myriad of materials. What happens in the material is that the conductivity allows for the movement of electrons, excited by incident electromagnetic waves. The moving electrons create eddy currents which in turn create secondary electromagnetic waves. These secondary waves cancel the incident wave. The result is that a conductive medium will attenuate waves as they travel through the medium. A perfect conductor, one that has infinite conductivity, will suppress all waves from traveling in the conductor. The result here is that you have currents confined to the surface of the conductor that perfectly cancel any incident wave.

If we make the imaginary part of epsilon to be positive, using the j convention, then the fields will increase as the travel through the medium. I'm not aware of any physical simulation where you would do this though the real part of epsilon can certainly become negative (like in a plasma or left-handed material).

Thanks.

As I read elsewhere
[tex]{\epsilon'' > 0}[/tex] - passive medium(as you said where the wave is attenuated)
[tex]{\epsilon'' < 0}[/tex] - active medium where energy is supplied to the wave and amplification happens as in laser/maser (this is what I read)

So, [tex]{\epsilon'}[/tex] does mean what it represents in simple media?
ie. [tex]{\epsilon'} = {\epsilon_0}\cdot{\epsilon_r}[/tex] ?

krindik said:
Thanks.

As I read elsewhere
[tex]{\epsilon'' > 0}[/tex] - passive medium(as you said where the wave is attenuated)
[tex]{\epsilon'' < 0}[/tex] - active medium where energy is supplied to the wave and amplification happens as in laser/maser (this is what I read)

So, [tex]{\epsilon'}[/tex] does mean what it represents in simple media?
ie. [tex]{\epsilon'} = {\epsilon_0}\cdot{\epsilon_r}[/tex] ?
Ah, I don't do optics at all so I didn't think of modeling laser's as having an active medium but I guess that certainly would fit the bill. I always work with passive mediums.

The real part describes the behavior of the medium as a dielectric and is indicative of how well the medium can polarize. It can also be abstractly thought of as relating to capacitance, and just like a capacitor a higher real permittivity allows for more energy to be stored in a medium given a constant electric field amplitude. When we have an electric field in a medium, the field exerts a force on charges in the medium. This causes a separation, the negative charges move opposite to the field while the positive charges move with the field, to result in polarization of the medium. The polarization is a local effect, the overall charge doesn't change, but it allows us to store energy in the medium.

Last edited:

Related to Can you point out physical interpretation of the complex permittivity?

1. What is the complex permittivity and how is it measured?

The complex permittivity is a measure of how a material interacts with an electric field. It is a complex number that includes both the real part (permittivity) and the imaginary part (loss factor). It is usually measured using a technique called dielectric spectroscopy, which involves applying an electric field to the material and measuring its response.

2. How does the complex permittivity differ from the real permittivity?

The real permittivity only accounts for the ability of a material to store electric charge, while the complex permittivity also takes into account the material's ability to dissipate energy. This means that the complex permittivity gives a more complete picture of how a material responds to an electric field.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the real part of the complex permittivity?

The real part of the complex permittivity, or permittivity, can be thought of as a measure of the material's ability to store electric charge. It is related to the material's polarization, or how the electric dipoles within the material respond to an electric field.

4. What does the imaginary part of the complex permittivity represent?

The imaginary part of the complex permittivity, or loss factor, represents the material's ability to dissipate energy. It is related to the material's conductivity, or how easily electric current can flow through it. A higher loss factor indicates a material that is less able to store energy and more likely to dissipate it as heat.

5. How is the complex permittivity used in practical applications?

The complex permittivity is a key parameter in understanding the behavior of materials in the presence of electric fields. It is used in a variety of practical applications, including designing electronic components, characterizing dielectric materials, and studying the dielectric properties of biological tissues. It also plays a role in the design of antennas and in the development of new technologies such as wireless power transfer and electromagnetic shielding.