Time harmonic case of Gauss's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses a chapter building up to the theory of plane waves and introduces time harmonic electric fields and a special case of Gauss's law. The equations for curl(H) are given for both a single material and a conductor, with the assumption of a homogeneous material. It is explained that in a current and charge-free region, a time harmonic external E field will not result in any long term charge build-up. The confusion arises when considering a theoretical time harmonic source of charge and whether it would produce a time harmonic E field with a non-zero volume charge density in different points in time.
elyons
In a chapter building up to the theory of plane waves my book starts by introducing
time harmonic electric fields and defines a special case of Gauss's law.curl(H) = J + dD/dt

curl(H) = sigma * E + epsilon * dE/dt

if E is time harmonic and spacially dependent... E(x,y,z,t) let E' represent the phasor form

curl(H) = sigma * E' + epsilon * j * w * E'

curl(H) = (sigma + epsilon*j*w) E'

of curl(H) = jw(epsilon - j*sigma/w) E'
where epsilon - j*sigma/w = epsilon_c (complex permittivity)given that... divergence(curl(H)) = 0...

divergence( jw * epsilon_c * E') = 0

therefore divergence(E) = 0

so pv (volume charge density) = 0 by Gauss's lawI am very confused why a time harmonic E field can never bound a charge source and why it's divergence is always zero as my book seems to suggest.
I am guessing of have missed a major assumption and or am misinterpreting something? Looking for some guidance. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take the divergence of both sides of this equation, but let's assume ## J=J_{free} =0 ##, and let's look at ## 0=\frac{d \nabla \cdot D}{dt}=\frac{d (\epsilon_o \nabla \cdot E+\nabla \cdot P)}{dt} ##. If we have a single material, and a single frequency, we can write ## P(\omega)=\epsilon_o \, \chi(\omega) E(\omega) ##, with ## E(t)=E(\omega)e^{i \omega t} ## and ## P(t)=P(\omega) e^{i \omega t} ##. Having a single homogeneous material means we get no polarization charges on any surface interface, (because there are no surface interfaces), and with the equation as we have it, it shows that we must have ## \nabla \cdot E=0 ##. We won't get any polarization charge inside the single uniform material. ## \\ ## I think a similar argument could be applied to the ## \nabla \cdot J_{free}=\nabla \cdot (\sigma E ) ## term. If the conductor is homogeneous, and responds linearly with ## J=\sigma E ##, so that ## J(\omega)=\sigma(\omega) \, E(\omega)##, there is no charge build-up anywhere. (If the conductor has a boundary, so that ## \sigma ## is not constant, then you will get charge build-up, and ## \nabla \cdot E \neq 0 ## ). ## \\ ## I don't know that what is found in your textbook is saying anything of any more significance than what I have just shown.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
Let's take the divergence of both sides of this equation, but let's assume ## J=J_{free} =0 ##, and let's look at ## 0=\frac{d \nabla \cdot D}{dt}=\frac{d (\epsilon_o \nabla \cdot E+\nabla \cdot P)}{dt} ##. If we have a single material, and a single frequency, we can write ## P(\omega)=\epsilon_o \, \chi(\omega) E(\omega) ##, with ## E(t)=E(\omega)e^{i \omega t} ## and ## P(t)=P(\omega) e^{i \omega t} ##. Having a single homogeneous material means we get no polarization charges on any surface interface, (because there are no surface interfaces), and with the equation as we have it, it shows that we must have ## \nabla \cdot E=0 ##. We won't get any polarization charge inside the single uniform material. ## \\ ## I think a similar argument could be applied to the ## \nabla \cdot J_{free}=\nabla \cdot (\sigma E ) ## term. If the conductor is homogeneous, and responds linearly with ## J=\sigma E ##, so that ## J(\omega)=\sigma(\omega) \, E(\omega)##, there is no charge build-up anywhere. (If the conductor has a boundary, so that ## \sigma ## is not constant, then you will get charge build-up, and ## \nabla \cdot E \neq 0 ## ). ## \\ ## I don't know that what is found in your textbook is saying anything of any more significance than what I have just shown.

Thank you for the response, I think this helps me narrow down my confusion a bit more. This makes sense for a 'charge and current' free region as you are showing, that an externally produced E field would not result in any long term charge in a homogeneous material.
I think my confusion is that my book doesn't seem to make this assumption (maybe I missed this?) of being in a current free charge free region.
If there was some theoretical time harmonic source of charge wouldn't it produce a time harmonic E field and then wouldn't the volume charge density have nonzero value at various points in time in that region?

elyons said:
Thank you for the response, I think this helps me narrow down my confusion a bit more. This makes sense for a 'charge and current' free region as you are showing, that an externally produced E field would not result in any long term charge in a homogeneous material.
I think my confusion is that my book doesn't seem to make this assumption (maybe I missed this?) of being in a current free charge free region.
If there was some theoretical time harmonic source of charge wouldn't it produce a time harmonic E field and then wouldn't the volume charge density have nonzero value at various points in time in that region?
I only assumed ## J_{free} =0 ## ,(and presumably ## \rho_{free}=0 ##), for the very first paragraph. After that, the more general case applies, but again, the assumption of a homogeneous material still applies. ## \\ ## The assumption of a single homogeneous material seems to be the important one in all cases here, rather than a harmonic time dependence. ## \\ ## Note: In the equation ## \nabla \times H=J+\frac{\partial{D}}{\partial{t}} ##, the ## J ## here is ## J_{free} ##. ## \\ ## The ## J_m =\nabla \times M ## and ## J_p=\dot{P} ## are not part of ## J ## here, in this equation. ## \\ ## And also notice if ## \sigma ## and ## \epsilon ## are spatially dependent, i.e. a non-homogeneous material, then ## \nabla \sigma \neq 0 ## and ## \nabla \epsilon \neq 0 ##, so that ## \nabla \cdot ( \sigma E) \neq \sigma \nabla \cdot E ##, and ## \nabla \cdot (\epsilon E) \neq \epsilon \nabla \cdot E ##, so that an algebraic step that was assumed would not be permissible.## \\ ## (Note: ## \nabla \cdot (\sigma E)=(\nabla \sigma) \cdot E+\sigma \nabla \cdot E ## ).

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I only assumed ## J_{free} =0 ## ,(and presumably ## \rho_{free}=0 ##), for the very first paragraph. After that, the more general case applies, but again, the assumption of a homogeneous material still applies. ## \\ ## The assumption of a single homogeneous material seems to be the important one in all cases here, rather than a harmonic time dependence. ## \\ ## Note: In the equation ## \nabla \times H=J+\frac{\partial{D}}{\partial{t}} ##, the ## J ## here is ## J_{free} ##. ## \\ ## The ## J_m =\nabla \times M ## and ## J_p=\dot{P} ## are not part of ## J ## here, in this equation. ## \\ ## And also notice if ## \sigma ## and ## \epsilon ## are spatially dependent, i.e. a non-homogeneous material, then ## \nabla \sigma \neq 0 ## and ## \nabla \epsilon \neq 0 ##, so that ## \nabla \cdot ( \sigma E) \neq \sigma \nabla \cdot E ##, and ## \nabla \cdot (\epsilon E) \neq \epsilon \nabla \cdot E ##, so that an algebraic step that was assumed would not be permissible.## \\ ## (Note: ## \nabla \cdot (\sigma E)=(\nabla \sigma) \cdot E+\sigma \nabla \cdot E ## ).

Thanks! The spatially dependent case clears up my confusion.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law?

The time harmonic case of Gauss's Law is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the electric fields and electric charges in a system that is undergoing harmonic oscillations. It applies to systems that have reached a steady state, where the electric fields and charges are oscillating at a constant frequency.

2. How does the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law differ from the standard Gauss's Law?

The main difference between the two is that the time harmonic case takes into account the oscillating nature of the electric fields and charges, while the standard Gauss's Law only applies to static systems. The time harmonic case also includes the concept of reactance, which is the opposition of a system to changes in the electric field.

3. What is the significance of the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law?

The time harmonic case of Gauss's Law is significant because it allows us to understand and analyze systems that are undergoing harmonic oscillations, which is a common occurrence in many physical and electronic systems. It also helps us to calculate the reactance of a system, which is essential in designing efficient electrical circuits.

4. How is the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law applied in real-world situations?

The time harmonic case of Gauss's Law is applied in various fields, such as electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It is used to design and analyze circuits, antennas, and other electronic devices that operate at a specific frequency. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and their behavior in different mediums.

5. Are there any limitations to the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law?

Yes, the time harmonic case of Gauss's Law has some limitations. It only applies to systems that have reached a steady state, and the oscillations are at a constant frequency. It also assumes that the electric fields and charges are sinusoidal, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of magnetic fields, which may be significant in some systems.