Can You Successfully Factorize x^2+y^2+z^2-2xy-2yz-2zx?

In summary, the "Factorization Challenge" is a mathematical problem-solving activity that involves breaking down a number into its prime factors. Factorization is the process of finding all the numbers that can evenly divide into a given number, and it is important in fields such as cryptography, number theory, and algebra. The goal of the challenge is to find the prime factors of a number in the shortest amount of time and with the fewest steps, making it a fun and challenging way to improve factorization skills. Regular practice and utilizing techniques such as trial division, factorization using a factor tree, or a calculator can help improve factorization skills. Participation in the "Factorization Challenge" can also be beneficial in improving skills.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Factorize $x^2+y^2+z^2-2xy-2yz-2zx$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My attempt:

In order to perform the factorization, I must require: $y,z \ge 0$.

\[x^2+y^2+z^2-2xy-2zx-2yz \\\\= (x-y-z)^2-4yz \\\\=(x-y-z+2\sqrt{yz})(x-y-z-2\sqrt{yz}) \\\\=(x-((\sqrt{y})^2+(\sqrt{z})^2-2\sqrt{yz}))(x-((\sqrt{y})^2+(\sqrt{z})^2+2\sqrt{yz})) \\\\=(x-(\sqrt{y}-\sqrt{z})^2)(x-(\sqrt{y}+\sqrt{z})^2)\]

lfdahl said:
My attempt:

In order to perform the factorization, I must require: $y,z \ge 0$.

\[x^2+y^2+z^2-2xy-2zx-2yz \\\\= (x-y-z)^2-4yz \\\\=(x-y-z+2\sqrt{yz})(x-y-z-2\sqrt{yz}) \\\\=(x-((\sqrt{y})^2+(\sqrt{z})^2-2\sqrt{yz}))(x-((\sqrt{y})^2+(\sqrt{z})^2+2\sqrt{yz})) \\\\=(x-(\sqrt{y}-\sqrt{z})^2)(x-(\sqrt{y}+\sqrt{z})^2)\]
Very Well done, lfdahl! (Cool)

1. What is the "Factorization Challenge"?

The "Factorization Challenge" is a mathematical problem-solving activity that involves breaking down a number into its prime factors.

2. How does factorization work?

Factorization is the process of finding all the numbers that can evenly divide into a given number. These numbers are called factors, and when multiplied together, they equal the original number.

3. Why is factorization important?

Factorization is an essential concept in mathematics and is used in many fields such as cryptography, number theory, and algebra. It allows us to simplify complex expressions and solve equations.

4. What is the goal of the "Factorization Challenge"?

The goal of the "Factorization Challenge" is to find the prime factors of a given number in the shortest amount of time and with the fewest number of steps. It is a fun and challenging way to practice and improve your factorization skills.

5. How can I improve my factorization skills?

The best way to improve your factorization skills is to practice regularly. You can also use various techniques such as trial division, prime factorization using a factor tree, or using a calculator. Additionally, participating in activities like the "Factorization Challenge" can also help improve your skills.