Can you suggest a probability and statistics manual?

In summary, the student is looking for a book or resources to continue studying probability and is specifically interested in theoretical math. The expert recommends a website with rigorous proofs and simulations, and mentions that they have compiled a pdf document with all the material from the site.
lesdavies123
Hello,

I am a student in the Actuarial bachelor's degree. I've just finished my Stats and Probabilities class in which we completed the Introduction to Probability book by Ross. I really enjoyed this class and would like to continue studying this branch can you suggest a book that continues along this. I am pretty good in calculus etc as I am an actuarial student but I will admit that I don't have a theoretical math background (but would enjoy it) so if you could suggest a follow up book for me (or even subjects) I would greatly appreciate it. Basically, I've seen combinatorics, probability distributions (uni and multivariate), transformations, Tchebysheff and the Central Limit Theorem. Thank you in advance!

David

Physics news on Phys.org
The best resource you can get is this site: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/ It has nice and rigorous proofs. And it has nice simulations. It contains a LOT of material.

I have compiled a pdf document with everything on the site for if you want to print it (but it's 3000 pages).

Alright I will look into it! Thank you!

1. What topics are covered in the probability and statistics manual?

The manual covers a wide range of topics including probability theory, descriptive statistics, inferential statistics, hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and more. It also includes real-world examples and exercises to help you apply the concepts.

2. Is the manual suitable for beginners or does it require prior knowledge in statistics?

The manual is designed to cater to both beginners and those with prior knowledge in statistics. It starts with the basics and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it suitable for anyone looking to improve their understanding of probability and statistics.

3. Are there any visual aids or illustrations included in the manual?

Yes, the manual contains numerous visual aids and illustrations to help explain complex concepts and make them easier to understand. These include graphs, charts, and diagrams that aid in visualizing the data and statistics being discussed.

4. Can the manual be used as a reference guide or is it meant to be read from start to finish?

The manual can be used in both ways. It is designed to be a comprehensive reference guide, allowing readers to jump to specific sections they need help with. However, it is also structured in a way that makes it suitable for reading from start to finish.

5. Does the manual provide practical examples and exercises to help apply the concepts?

Yes, the manual includes numerous practical examples and exercises throughout each chapter to help readers apply the concepts they have learned. This hands-on approach allows for a better understanding of how to use probability and statistics in real-world scenarios.