Probability/Statistics textbook suggestions

In summary, some suggested textbooks for probability and statistics for electrical engineering students include "Papoulis: Random Variables, Probability, Statistics" and "Leon-Garcia." These books have been used in graduate programs and are available for purchase on Amazon.
ElectricRay
Hello All,

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good textbook on probability and statistics for someone who's studying Electrical Engineering?

I follow a distance learning program but not always they use real good books so I like to buy extra books sometimes for the sake of extra material on the subject and for fun. I do the same with calculus and it really helps me out.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Papoulistitle something like Random Variables, Probability, Statistics. This text was used in the graduate electrical engineering program in two engineering schools that I took courses from. Another good book is by Leon-Garcia

mpresic said:
I like Papoulistitle something like Random Variables, Probability, Statistics. This text was used in the graduate electrical engineering program in two engineering schools that I took courses from. Another good book is by Leon-Garcia

Thanks i had a look on Amazon and could find it there probably I will buy it

Last edited by a moderator:

What are some good textbooks for learning about probability and statistics?

Some popular textbooks for learning about probability and statistics include "Introduction to Probability" by Joseph K. Blitzstein and Jessica Hwang, "Introduction to Probability and Statistics" by William Mendenhall and Robert J. Beaver, and "Probability and Statistics" by Morris H. DeGroot and Mark J. Schervish.

Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on applied statistics?

Yes, "Applied Statistics and Probability for Engineers" by Douglas C. Montgomery and George C. Runger is a popular textbook that focuses on the practical applications of statistics in engineering.

What about textbooks for advanced probability and statistics?

For more advanced topics, "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" by E.T. Jaynes and "Statistical Inference" by George Casella and Roger L. Berger are highly recommended textbooks.

Do any of these textbooks have accompanying online resources or practice problems?

Many of these textbooks have online resources and practice problems available, such as interactive quizzes and exercises, lecture notes, and data sets for analysis. Check the publisher's website or the author's webpage for more information.

Are there any free or open-source textbooks for probability and statistics?

Yes, "OpenIntro Statistics" by David M. Diez, Christopher D. Barr, and Mine Çetinkaya-Rundel is a popular open-source textbook for introductory statistics. Additionally, many universities and professors make their course notes and materials available online for free.