Can you verify if there is a error in the notes or i am just stupid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of conservation of momentum in a scenario where two masses are connected by a string. One person questions the validity of this principle due to the presence of external forces, while another explains that the assumption is that the tension in the string is constant and equal in both directions, resulting in equal and opposite forces on the masses. However, it is pointed out that this explanation is not entirely accurate and requires further clarification.
jessicaw
as uploaded.
I think the example is very weird.
Why we can use conservation of momentum? There is external force!

thx.

Attachments

• Phys03 6.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 224
Physics news on Phys.org
The assumption is that the tension is the same throughout the string. So, in effect, the two masses are exerting equal and opposite forces on each other and thus momentum is conserved. Since the impulse is of short duration, any external forces on the masses can be ignored.

I think strictly speaking, jessicaw is being diligent. Momentum is clearly not conserved between the two masses in "normal" coordinates. The forces are not equal and opposite, they're just equal both in the up direction. What it is really assuming is that the two masses will have the same change of momentum; not that momentum is conserved. i.e pf - pi = (-mV) - (-mv) = (MV) - (0); because M has V and m has -V (-v initially).

kcdodd said:
I think strictly speaking, jessicaw is being diligent. Momentum is clearly not conserved between the two masses in "normal" coordinates. The forces are not equal and opposite, they're just equal both in the up direction. What it is really assuming is that they will have the same change of momentum; not that momentum is conserved. i.e pf - pi = (-mV) - (-mv) = (MV) - (0); because M has V and m has -V (-v initially).
I completely agree. It's not something 'obvious', but something that requires explanation. I think it was a good question that the textbook failed to properly address.

When I said the forces are in effect 'equal and opposite', I was of course taking my coordinates along the rope. (That too, should have been explained. :rolleyes:)

kcdodd said:
I think strictly speaking, jessicaw is being diligent. Momentum is clearly not conserved between the two masses in "normal" coordinates. The forces are not equal and opposite, they're just equal both in the up direction.
Correct. As you noted, the forces are not equal but opposite. They are equal and non-opposite. So there should be no expectation that momentum is conserved (and it is not conserved). One way to resolve this is to come up with an analog that simplifies and unfolds the system so that the forces are equal but opposite. The attached explanation did not do that, however.

Edit
Just to make things clear, the result obtained in the attachment to the original post is correct. The issue is the handwave regarding conservation of momentum needs a bit better explanation and justification.

Last edited:

Related to Can you verify if there is a error in the notes or i am just stupid.

1. Can you explain how you determine if there is an error in the notes or if I am just misunderstanding?

As a scientist, my job is to use evidence and logical reasoning to determine if there is an error in the notes or if there is a misunderstanding. I will thoroughly review the notes and compare them to other reliable sources to verify their accuracy. Additionally, I will ask clarifying questions to better understand your understanding of the notes.

2. What evidence do you use to verify if there is an error in the notes?

I use a variety of sources, including peer-reviewed scientific articles, reputable textbooks, and expert opinions, to verify the accuracy of the notes. I also rely on my own knowledge and expertise in the subject matter to spot any potential errors or inconsistencies.

3. Is there a specific process you follow to verify errors in notes?

Yes, I have a systematic process that I follow when verifying errors in notes. This includes reviewing the notes, comparing them to other sources, researching the topic, and seeking clarification from the individual who provided the notes.

4. How long does it typically take for you to determine if there is an error in the notes?

The time it takes for me to determine if there is an error in the notes can vary depending on the complexity of the subject matter and the availability of reliable sources. However, I make sure to thoroughly review and verify the accuracy of the notes before coming to a conclusion.

5. Can you provide an example of a situation where you found an error in notes?

As a scientist, I have come across errors in notes numerous times. One example is when I was reviewing a research paper and noticed that the data presented did not match the conclusions drawn by the authors. Through further analysis and cross-checking with other sources, I was able to identify a miscalculation in the data, leading to a correction in the paper.