Can you work out power without knowing displacement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of power in relation to a bike traveling up an inclined plane at a constant speed. The power equation is given as P = F*d/t, and it is explained that the net force in this case is zero due to the constant speed. The conversation also covers the force calculation and the importance of considering the applied force of the cyclist rather than the net force. It concludes with a clarification on the purpose of determining the force balance in this scenario.
jjones1573

Homework Statement

I'm a bit confused by a question asking me to work out the power of a bike traveling up an inclined plane with a constant speed. I have the mass and friction and the speed but no displacement so I don't know how I could work out power if to find the work I need to factor in displacement to the equation. Any ideas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Power is W/t, and work is F.d, thus P = F.(d/t).

Power can be found in terms of force and velocity; iff both are constant: P = Fv

Ah ok great!

So If the bike is moving up at a constant speed with a friction force of 320N, to calculate the net force do I simply do mg Sin theta - 700?

Also when working interms of km/h do we need to convert to m/s to do the calculations?

jjones1573 said:
So If the bike is moving up at a constant speed with a friction force of 320N, to calculate the net force do I simply do mg Sin theta - 700?

Also when working interms of km/h do we need to convert to m/s to do the calculations?

The speed is constant, so you know that the net force is zero. Therefore, whatever force is being applied by the cyclist is being countered by friction and by the component of the weight parallel to the incline. In other words, the sum of all forces acting parallel to the incline is 0. You can use this force balance equation to solve for what the cyclist's applied force has to be.

Draw a free body diagram for the bike if you're having trouble keeping track of the forces.

Yes, you have to convert to m/s IF you want your answer to be in watts (N*m / s). If you don't, then your answer will be in (N*km/h), which is still a unit of power, but is not the standard one (the watt).

Ah ok thank you. so if the sum of all the forces parallel equals zero then perpundicular forces also cancel each other out then the net force is 0? I am still a little confused.

Yes exactly. Let's just use tilted coordinate axes so that parallel to the incline is the x direction and perpendicular is the y direction. Then the condition for equilibrium gives you two equations 1. Sum of all forces in x-direction = 0
2. Sum of all forces in y direction = 0.

These two equations allow you to solve for your unknowns (friction, normal force) in terms of your knowns (mass, g, friction coefficient).

jjones1573 said:

Homework Statement

I'm a bit confused by a question asking me to work out the power of a bike traveling up an inclined plane with a constant speed. I have the mass and friction and the speed but no displacement so I don't know how I could work out power if to find the work I need to factor in displacement to the equation. Any ideas?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Think about the definition of velocity. What is in the numerator?

v = d/t

ahh I see what your saying that's why P = F.(d/t) or P = F.V because V = d/t of course!

But I'm still confused about the force calculation. if the net force is 0 then the power from the above equation p = 0 * velocity = 0
but that can't be right?

Last edited:
jjones1573 said:
v = d/t

ahh I see what your saying that's why P = F.(d/t) or P = F.V because V = d/t of course!

But I'm still confused about the force calculation. if the net force is 0 then the power from the above equation p = 0 * velocity = 0
but that can't be right?

It's true that there is no net work being done, and hence no net power output. Any power generated by the cyclist is 1. dissipated as heat due to friction OR 2. used up to increase the gravitational potential energy of the bike as it goes up the incline.

But the question is not asking you to compute the net power output. It is asking you to compute the power output of the cyclist. So don't use the net force in P = F*v. Use the applied force of the cyclist.

That's why you have to go through this whole rigamarole of applying the condition for static equilibrium and force balance -- to determine what force the cyclist has to apply to keep the bike moving.

Ah ok thank you for taking the time to explain this that makes complete sense now!

Related to Can you work out power without knowing displacement?

1. Can power be calculated without knowing displacement?

Yes, power can be calculated without knowing displacement. Power is defined as the rate at which work is done, and it can be calculated using the formula P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Displacement is not included in this formula.

2. What is the relationship between power and displacement?

Power and displacement are both important factors in determining the overall work done. However, displacement is not directly related to power. Power is affected by both the amount of force applied and the distance the object moves, while displacement only considers the distance the object moves.

3. How does not knowing displacement affect power calculation?

Not knowing displacement does not significantly affect power calculation. As mentioned before, displacement is not included in the formula for power. Therefore, as long as the amount of work and time are known, power can be accurately calculated without considering displacement.

4. Can power be accurately determined without displacement?

Yes, power can be accurately determined without displacement. The formula for power only requires the values of work and time, both of which can be measured independently of displacement. As long as these two values are known, power can be accurately determined.

5. Is displacement necessary for calculating power?

No, displacement is not necessary for calculating power. While displacement can provide additional information about the work done, it is not a required variable in the calculation of power. As long as work and time are known, power can be calculated without considering displacement.