Canadian Physics Graduate Programs

In summary: You're more interested in computing and physics?In summary, if you want to study physics in Canada, the University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, and McGill are the best options.
FermiDirac
Hi! I am new here. I am currently an undergraduate in China, majoring in physics. I am in my final year, and I am applying for physics PhD programs in North American. I have chosen some institutions in the US, and I am considering adding one or two Canadian institutions.

However, unlike American institutions, I find it hard to find ranking information for Canadian physics graduate programs. So I am posting here, asking for suggestions and advice.

From http://www.topuniversities.com/, I find a ranking for natural sciences. The highest three Canadian institutions are University of Toronto, University of British Columbia and McGill University. However, I cannot find any information in details or specific information for physics.

My interest mainly lies in condensed matter physics and computational physics. I am especially interested in computer simulations and statistical physics. Would you please offer me some suggestions?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
For many Canadian universities, you apply to a professor rather than to the entire department, as is most common in U.S. universities. With this in mind, you should look for professors that are very well-known internationally and cited often.

Sorry I don't know much about Canadian research on condensed matter and computational physics.

vincebs said:
For many Canadian universities, you apply to a professor rather than to the entire department, as is most common in U.S. universities. With this in mind, you should look for professors that are very well-known internationally and cited often.

Sorry I don't know much about Canadian research on condensed matter and computational physics.

Thank you! So you mean I should visit their websites and find professors who are highly reputed in the specific area and with research areas that I am interested in?

One hint as to how good a department is in a particular area of research is how many reputable professors they have in the field. For example, books and articles published, number of Canadian research chairs held, etc. Before applying, you should always do research on the faculty. I know on some applications for grad schools, it is not uncommon where you select your own supervisor.

McGill is good in HEP and condensed matter physics. U of T is good in condensed matter and quantum optics. I'm saying this because some guys I did undergrad with applied to these schools in those particular fields because according to them, these schools have a very good rep.

Best of luck!

ranger said:
One hint as to how good a department is in a particular area of research is how many reputable professors they have in the field. For example, books and articles published, number of Canadian research chairs held, etc. Before applying, you should always do research on the faculty. I know on some applications for grad schools, it is not uncommon where you select your own supervisor.

McGill is good in HEP and condensed matter physics. U of T is good in condensed matter and quantum optics. I'm saying this because some guys I did undergrad with applied to these schools in those particular fields because according to them, these schools have a very good rep.

Best of luck!

I will do more investigations.

Thank you very much! :smile:

I'd also look at the Perimeter Institute, they have graduate programs in collaboration with a lot of schools, specifically and mostly the University of Waterloo.

But that's a more theoretical route.

Related to Canadian Physics Graduate Programs

1. What are the admission requirements for Canadian physics graduate programs?

Admission requirements vary depending on the specific program and university, but in general, applicants are expected to have a strong undergraduate degree in physics or a related field, high grades, and letters of recommendation. Many programs also require applicants to take the GRE and submit a personal statement or research proposal.

2. Are Canadian physics graduate programs competitive?

Yes, Canadian physics graduate programs are highly competitive. The acceptance rates for these programs are typically low, and applicants are expected to have excellent academic records and research experience to be considered.

3. Is it necessary to have a bachelor's degree in physics to apply for a Canadian physics graduate program?

No, it is not always necessary to have a bachelor's degree in physics to apply for a Canadian physics graduate program. Some programs may accept applicants with a strong background in a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. However, applicants with a degree in physics will have a stronger foundation for the rigorous coursework and research in a physics graduate program.

4. What are the research opportunities available in Canadian physics graduate programs?

Canadian physics graduate programs offer a wide range of research opportunities in various fields such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, quantum mechanics, and biophysics. Each program and university will have its own specialized research areas and facilities, so it is important to research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and goals.

5. Are there funding opportunities for international students in Canadian physics graduate programs?

Yes, there are funding opportunities for international students in Canadian physics graduate programs. Many universities offer scholarships, grants, and assistantship positions to support international students in their studies. It is important to research and inquire about funding options when applying to a program.