Cannon shoots a bullet. What if it's not fixed to the platform?

In summary, the conversation highlights the difficulty of reading a solution due to the interference of squares in the photos. It is suggested to use plain white paper and explain the steps in sentences. The individual is congratulated for correctly deriving the expression in terms of symbols before substituting numbers, but a correction is made regarding a variable and a simplification is suggested. The individual apologizes for the wrong organization of the post and promises to improve in the future.
Ariano AnnaG
Homework Statement
A cannon is initially attached to a fixed platform (ignore the recoil). Its mass is 5800 kg.
The cannon shoots a bullet(mass=85 kg), and its speed is 551 m/s.
If the cannon is not fixed to the platform anymore, what is the speed of the bullet now?

Is the attempt at the solution shown in the attached photo well organized and correct? Should I add other explanation or diagrams to improve it?
Relevant Equations
K=K' (kinetic energy)
q=q' (momentum)

Physics news on Phys.org
First it's not easy to read your solution with all the squares interfering. Please use plain white paper if you post more photos of your work.

Your solution is not easy to follow but it is correct. You may consider using sentences here and there to explain what you are doing. For example, you might say something like "The same amount of energy that is imparted to only the bullet in the first case is divided between the bullet and the cannon in the second case."

I congratulate you on deriving the expression in terms of symbols before substituting the numbers. That's as it should be.

Last edited:
Likes Nik_2213
kuruman said:
I congratulate you on deriving the expression in terms of symbols before substituting the numbers. That's as it should be.
I second that, but I think you have ##v_{B_2}## on the right instead of ##v_{B_1}##, and you could simplify to ##\frac{v_{B_1}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{m_B}{m_C}}}##.

Thank you so much for your replies kuruman and haruspex despite the wrong organization of the post, I'm so sorry about that, I'm new to the forum but I promise I will learn from my mystakes.

1. How does the movement of the platform affect the trajectory of the bullet?

The movement of the platform can greatly affect the trajectory of the bullet. If the platform is fixed and stable, the bullet will be shot in a straight line. However, if the platform is moving or unstable, it can cause the bullet to deviate from its intended path and potentially miss the target.

2. Can a non-fixed platform cause the bullet to change direction mid-air?

Yes, a non-fixed platform can cause the bullet to change direction mid-air. This is because the platform's movement can alter the force and direction of the bullet's initial trajectory, causing it to veer off course.

3. How does the height of the platform affect the distance the bullet travels?

The height of the platform can greatly affect the distance the bullet travels. The higher the platform, the longer the distance the bullet can travel due to the increased angle at which it is fired.

4. Is it possible for the platform to absorb some of the bullet's force upon impact?

Yes, it is possible for the platform to absorb some of the bullet's force upon impact. This can happen if the platform is made of a material that is not strong enough to withstand the force of the bullet, causing it to deform or break upon impact.

5. How does the weight of the platform affect the speed of the bullet?

The weight of the platform does not directly affect the speed of the bullet. However, a heavier platform may be more stable and reduce any potential movement that could alter the bullet's trajectory.