Canonical ensemble <(Delta E)^3> expression

In summary, the conversation discusses using differentiating ^2 to get an expression for an ideal gas. The grand-canonical partition function is used to evaluate the energy and energy fluctuations. An example system is suggested as an approach for finding the resulting expression for any canonical ensemble.
GrandsonOfMagnusCarl
Homework Statement
Given: <(Delta E)^2> = k_B T^2 C_V

Show: <(Delta E)^3> = k_B^2 [T^4 (d C_V / d T)_V + 2 T^3 C_V]
Relevant Equations
stat mech, thermo
I try involving differentiating ^2 but I get an expression of different proportionality.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess, that's for an ideal gas? If so then just get the grand-canonical partition function
$$Z(\beta,\alpha,V)=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \exp(-\beta p^2/(2m)+\alpha)$$
and evaluate ##U=\langle E \rangle=-\partial_{\beta} Z/Z##, ##\langle \Delta E^2 \rangle=\partial_{\beta}^2 Z/Z- \langle E \rangle^2##,...

vanhees71 said:
I guess, that's for an ideal gas? If so then just get the grand-canonical partition function
$$Z(\beta,\alpha,V)=V \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \exp(-\beta p^2/(2m)+\alpha)$$
and evaluate ##U=\langle E \rangle=-\partial_{\beta} Z/Z##, ##\langle \Delta E^2 \rangle=\partial_{\beta}^2 Z/Z- \langle E \rangle^2##,...
For any canonical ensemble.
Ah, yours would be an approach. I never thought of using an explicit example system to find that resulting expression.

1. What is the canonical ensemble <(Delta E)^3> expression?

The canonical ensemble <(Delta E)^3> expression is a mathematical formula used in statistical mechanics to describe the average fluctuation of energy in a system at a given temperature. It is also known as the third moment of the energy distribution in the canonical ensemble.

2. How is the <(Delta E)^3> expression derived?

The <(Delta E)^3> expression is derived from the canonical partition function, which is a sum over all possible energy states of a system. By taking the third derivative of the partition function with respect to temperature, the <(Delta E)^3> expression can be obtained.

3. What information does the <(Delta E)^3> expression provide?

The <(Delta E)^3> expression provides information about the fluctuations in energy of a system at a given temperature. It can be used to calculate the specific heat capacity and other thermodynamic properties of the system.

4. How is the <(Delta E)^3> expression related to the heat capacity?

The <(Delta E)^3> expression is directly related to the heat capacity of a system. Specifically, it is proportional to the heat capacity at constant volume (Cv) divided by the square of the temperature (T^2).

5. In what situations is the <(Delta E)^3> expression useful?

The <(Delta E)^3> expression is most useful for systems with a large number of particles, such as gases or solids. It is also applicable to systems with a continuous energy spectrum, such as a solid with phonon modes. Additionally, it is commonly used in the study of phase transitions and critical phenomena.