Canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation

In summary, the conversation discussed the formation of a canonical partition using specific conditions for N-particle strands, including the possibility of open or closed links and weak interactions between particles. The partition function was also derived using a base equation and manipulations to find the final result. However, there was confusion about the 4th and 5th terms and the existence of a link between ##\alpha## and ##m##.
zexxa
Question
Form the canoncial partition using the following conditions:

• 2 N-particles long strands can join each other at the i-th particle to form a double helix chain.
  • Otherwise, the i-th particle of each strand can also be left unattached, leaving the chain "open"
  • An "open" link gives the strand ##\epsilon## amount of energy where ##\epsilon > 0##
  • A "closed" link gives the strand no energy
  • For ##m < N##, the strand must be "open" for ##i \leq m## and "closed" for ##m < i \leq N##
  • Note that ##m \neq N##
  • Each particle are independent of each other and they weakly interact

Attempt

I treated the energy states at ##i /leq m## and ## i > m## as a simple one energy state i.e.
## E = \sum_i ^N n_i \epsilon , {n_i} = \begin{cases} 1, & \text{if $i \leq m$}.\\
0, & \text{otherwise} \end{cases}##
Therefore,
##Z(\beta , V , N) = \{ exp[ - \beta \epsilon ] \} ^m \{ exp[ 0 ]\} ^{N-m} = exp[ - \beta \epsilon ] ^m##

Does this make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
zexxa said:
Does this make sense?
No. What is the base equation for the partition function?

The base equation?
## Z ( \beta, V, N) = \sum_\alpha exp[ -\beta E ] = \sum_\alpha exp [ -\beta \sum_i^N n_i \epsilon ]
= \sum_\alpha exp [ -\beta m \epsilon]
= \{exp[ -\beta \epsilon ]\}^m
= exp [-\beta \epsilon] ^m##

The base equation is the first 2 equations, and the rest are the manipulations I did to get to my answer from before.

zexxa said:
## Z ( \beta, V, N) = \sum_\alpha exp[ -\beta E ] = \sum_\alpha exp [ -\beta \sum_i^N n_i \epsilon ]
= \sum_\alpha exp [ -\beta m \epsilon]
= \{exp[ -\beta \epsilon ]\}^m
= exp [-\beta \epsilon] ^m##
I don't understand how you got from the 4th to the 5th terms in there. Also, shouldn't there be a link between ##\alpha## and ##m##?

1. What is the canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation?

The canonical ensemble is a statistical mechanics concept used to describe the behavior of a large number of particles, such as atoms or molecules, in a system at a given temperature, volume, and number of particles. In the context of a simplified DNA representation, it refers to the collection of all possible conformations or structures that the DNA molecule can adopt at a specific temperature.

2. How is the canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation different from other ensembles?

The canonical ensemble is different from other ensembles, such as the microcanonical or grand canonical ensemble, because it takes into account the effect of temperature on the system. This is important for studying the behavior of DNA, as temperature can affect the stability and dynamics of the molecule.

3. What is the role of temperature in the canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation. It determines the energy distribution among the different conformations of the DNA molecule, which in turn affects its stability and dynamics. In general, higher temperatures lead to more flexible and dynamic DNA structures, while lower temperatures favor more stable and rigid structures.

4. How is the canonical ensemble of a simplified DNA representation used in research?

The canonical ensemble is used in research to study the thermodynamics and kinetics of DNA molecules. By simulating the behavior of a large number of simplified DNA molecules in the canonical ensemble, researchers can gain insights into the stability and dynamics of DNA at different temperatures and conditions. This information is valuable for understanding the behavior of DNA in biological systems and for designing new DNA-based technologies.

5. What are the advantages of using a simplified DNA representation in the canonical ensemble?

Using a simplified DNA representation in the canonical ensemble allows for efficient and accurate simulations of large DNA systems. By reducing the complexity of the molecule, it is possible to simulate a larger number of conformations and explore a wider range of temperatures and conditions. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of DNA molecules and their interactions with other molecules in the cell.