Canonical Quantization: Proving the Theory

In summary: Hello! I read some books on QM and QFT but I didn't really noticed (or I missed it?) a proof for the canonical quantization. For example, for energy and momentum it makes sense to have opposite signs, due to Minkowski metric, be related to the variation of space and time, due to Noether theorem or have an ##i## in order to be hermitian, but this is not a proof. Can someone explain to me how can you derive this or point me towards a derivation (not only energy and momentum, but all this theory in general)?There isn't a proof of the canonical quantization, but it's a useful heuristic idea that helps motivate the Rules of Quantum Mechanics
Silviu
Hello! I read some books on QM and QFT but I didn't really noticed (or I missed it?) a proof for the canonical quantization. For example, for energy and momentum it makes sense to have opposite signs, due to Minkowski metric, be related to the variation of space and time, due to Noether theorem or have an ##i## in order to be hermitian, but this is not a proof. Can someone explain to me how can you derive this or point me towards a derivation (not only energy and momentum, but all this theory in general)? And as a side note, why isn't this proved (or at least given some rough clues) in the physics books (at least not in all of them)? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
I read some books on QM and QFT

What books?

Silviu said:
a proof for the canonical quantization

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Likes martinbn
PeterDonis said:
What books?
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Griffiths and Liboff for QM and Pesking for QFT. And I mean why do p and E in classical physics, take the form they do in QM (and all the rest, x and Poisson brackets etc.). I don't find it obvious for E to become ##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}##, for example. So I assume there is a mathematical motivation for this, and hence a proof of how one classical variable turns into an operator i.e. I guess these were not just guessed and as they worked they were just used but they have a mathematical motivation.

Silviu said:
I don't find it obvious for E to become ##i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}##, for example.

It doesn't. Why do you think it does?

PeterDonis said:
It does in the Klein-Gordon equation for a single relativistic particle.

Silviu said:
Hello! I read some books on QM and QFT but I didn't really noticed (or I missed it?) a proof for the canonical quantization. For example, for energy and momentum it makes sense to have opposite signs, due to Minkowski metric, be related to the variation of space and time, due to Noether theorem or have an ##i## in order to be hermitian, but this is not a proof. Can someone explain to me how can you derive this or point me towards a derivation (not only energy and momentum, but all this theory in general)? And as a side note, why isn't this proved (or at least given some rough clues) in the physics books (at least not in all of them)? Thank you!
Canonical quantization is a heuristic idea how to motivate the Rules of Quantum Mechanics in introductory QM lectures. It's not a mathematically well defined procedure and as such only works well for position and momentum in Cartesian coordinates.

The true way from both a physical and a mathematical point of view are symmetries (related strongly with conservation laws according to Noether's theorems) and their realization in quantum mechanics in terms of unitary ray representations on a Hilbert space. The commutator relations of observable operators (or in mathematical terms the "algebra of observables") follow from the mathematics of the underlying Lie symmetry groups and their corresponding Lie algebras. You can derive the specific way of non-relativistic quantum theory (why is there a mass, why is there spin, why are there mass and spin superselections rules etc. etc.) from a careful study of the unitary ray representations of the Galileo Lie algebra and the resulting quantum version of the Galileo symmetry of classical mechanics. For a very good introduction, see the excellent textbook by Ballentine, Quantum Mechanics - A modern development.

Likes dextercioby
PeterDonis said:
It actually does. When you derive the KG equation, you write the relativistic energy of the particle, and then you do the transformation that I just mentioned. My question is why do you do that transformation. What is the motivation behind it?

1. What is canonical quantization?

Canonical quantization is a mathematical framework that is used to quantize classical field theories, such as electromagnetism and general relativity. It allows us to describe the behavior of particles and fields at a quantum level, taking into account the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the theory of canonical quantization proven?

The theory of canonical quantization is proven through mathematical derivation and experimental evidence. The process involves applying the principles of quantum mechanics to classical field theories and solving for the quantum counterparts of classical variables. The resulting equations can then be tested through experiments and compared to observations to validate the theory.

3. What are the applications of canonical quantization?

Canonical quantization has many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of quantum field theory, particle physics, and cosmology. It allows us to understand the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions, as well as the dynamics of the universe at a quantum level.

4. How does canonical quantization differ from other quantization methods?

Canonical quantization differs from other quantization methods, such as path integral quantization, in its mathematical approach. It uses operators and commutation relations to describe the quantum behavior of particles, while path integral quantization uses a probabilistic approach. Additionally, canonical quantization is particularly useful for describing systems with a large number of particles, whereas path integral quantization is better suited for systems with a small number of particles.

5. Are there any limitations to canonical quantization?

Like any scientific theory, canonical quantization has its limitations. It is not applicable to all physical systems, as there are some systems that cannot be quantized using this method. Additionally, it does not account for the effects of gravity, which is still a subject of ongoing research in the field of quantum gravity.